• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car for my bird

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    What sort of bird is it?

A parrot would be pleased with this car

but possibly too big for a canary or finch.
    What sort of a bird are you?
    I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
      I tell her that it is difficult to go from 168 bhp, 2.8 v6 to a 90 bhp 1.2l engine.
      civic 2.2cdti. Same performance as the cougar but double the mpg. In budget and won't break.

Comment

Currently she has a Ford Cougar 2.8 V6 auto, which has 122k miles, and runs fine, but it's starting to show it's age. Right now she leaks a lot of oil, and plugging holes all the time is costly in contracting business and boring. Hence, we are looking for a replacement. Golf GTI (55 Reg, £6000, 89k miles), Audi A3 (06 Reg, 89k miles, £6000), Honda Civic iV-tec(2007, 57k miles, £4200). Has anyone got any personal experience on these cars? Thoughts?
        I had a Ford Cougar for 10 years from new. F'ing ace car loved it. Didn't miss a beat (apart from an engine seizure three months before the company car lease was up ). I just went out and bought another one for less than a grand and did another 3 years in that. I still see them in forecourts for £500 and think about getting another as my workhorse car. Looking at the types of car you are going for I would definitely go for the lowest mileage option regardless of car. All three of them could have been worked hard so wouldn't be chancing high mileage options.

What's the context here... Does she know much about cars, like pretty ones or is a car just a mode of transport to her? If she just wants something to get from A to B then I would swallow your pride and look at the less popular models that every man and his dog go for so you don't end up paying through the nose? Something like the Seats or Skodas.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Lady driver seeks stylish small car?

99% of the time that means a BMW Mini 'innit?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I had a Ford Cougar for 10 years from new. F'ing ace car loved it. Didn't miss a beat (apart from an engine seizure three months before the company car lease was up ). I just went out and bought another one for less than a grand and did another 3 years in that. I still see them in forecourts for £500 and think about getting another as my workhorse car. Looking at the types of car you are going for I would definitely go for the lowest mileage option regardless of car. All three of them could have been worked hard so wouldn't be chancing high mileage options.

What's the context here... Does she know much about cars, like pretty ones or is a car just a mode of transport to her? If she just wants something to get from A to B then I would swallow your pride and look at the less popular models that every man and his dog go for so you don't end up paying through the nose? Something like the Seats or Skodas.
            Awesome post. Cheers! She wants something smaller than the cougar. Thats her first criteria. I think like you said, it might be better idea to let her drive a Skoda Fabia first, and see if she likes the loss of power etc. If she is still gaga over it, I will swallow my pride and buy it
            Thank you all for the inputs. Looks like this weekend is going to be busy!
            I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Lady driver seeks stylish small car?

99% of the time that means a BMW Mini 'innit?
              Funny enough, she hates the look of a Mini. Her car of choice is VW Beetle, but the main thing is that she wants something with 5 doors instead of 3 (unlike her cougar).

Comment

Awesome post. Cheers! She wants something smaller than the cougar. Thats her first criteria. I think like you said, it might be better idea to let her drive a Skoda Fabia first, and see if she likes the loss of power etc. If she is still gaga over it, I will swallow my pride and buy it
                Thank you all for the inputs. Looks like this weekend is going to be busy!
                Have a look around first. Think you will be surprised. I don't know about reliability and stuff about these cars but go off the standards and you can get some nice looking cars. Like this for example. Cheaper, newer, lower mileage than all the options you posted and still (IMO) looks pretty smart if that is a concern.

Seat Leon 1.9 TDI Stylance 5dr SLEEK BLACK LEON 2007
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Lol. Is that an Aventador? Not her taste, I am sure. She is still deciding whether she wants a DSG box or stick with normal auto. I keep telling her that Skoda Fabia 1.2l etc is a waste because their realistic max speed is about 100 mph, and she drives her cougar at 80-90 mph on dual carriageways
                  DSG

Ever wondered why used VAG cars with a costly optional DSG gearbox are cheaper than a manual? Great when they work, 4k to fix when they break.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

What about a TT? they are great cars to drive and don't look as sad as a Golf or an A3. That said I have owned two Hondas and both have been faultless for the time I have owned them...

Comment

If her car of choice is a VW Beetle, best help her get one!

Otherwise everything wrong about the car WILL BE YOUR FAULT!

HTH BIDI

Comment

Working...
                      X