• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many miles will a BMW 5 series 530D do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Test drove a lexus on Saturday and didn't like the drive or interior. Couldn't find a decent beema for the money I was offering. In the end I opted for a nice E Class 320D (CDI). Awesome 3 litre engine with 70k miles, leather interior, nice gadgets, 2005 model. All for a very reasonable 5k. Test drove sold it to me.
    Now that will bite you on the ass. The model from 2004 to 2008 was renowned as being the most unreliable E-Class there was. Has an offset driving position too, which I didn't like.

However, the engine is top drawer, with endless torque. £5k is cheap mind. 2009 models still trading for 14k, so you've either got a bargain, or a dawg.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      Now that will bite you on the ass. The model from 2004 to 2008 was renowned as being the most unreliable E-Class there was. Has an offset driving position too, which I didn't like.

However, the engine is top drawer, with endless torque. £5k is cheap mind. 2009 models still trading for 14k, so you've either got a bargain, or a dawg.
      I am aware it is a bit of a gamble but at 5k I thought it is worthwhile.... Also I know plenty of owners of E Class Mercs in that range. A few have had problems yes but majority are ok so I just hope I fall into the majority!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        I am aware it is a bit of a gamble but at 5k I thought it is worthwhile.... Also I know plenty of owners of E Class Mercs in that range. A few have had problems yes but majority are ok so I just hope I fall into the majority!
        As do I. We had a 2003 E320CDI (W210) estate for 10 years, which was only changed this year for an R320CDI that was faultless, literally. If you have a good one, they're capable of inter-stellar mileage and are quality. However, the 2003-2009 (W211) years were an unbridled failure for the E, especially years 2004-2008. We avoided them years, and bought the 2010 R320 this year, although I loathe the R class (it's the wifes' car). Maybe unbelievably, the E Class isn't big enough for 3 kids in the back, not with the car seats you have ot have!

If you have a good one, which I hope, you'll enjoy a lot of car for the money, and hopefully for a long time. I'd recommend, at that age, and for that model, if you're going to run it for a long long time, use a local garage, and service it twice a year, and you will genuinely enjoy 10 years of comfortable cheap motoring. Use Mercedes main dealers, and you will be raped each time you visit them. I know from painful experience...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          As do I. We had a 2003 E320CDI (W210) estate for 10 years, which was only changed this year for an R320CDI that was faultless, literally. If you have a good one, they're capable of inter-stellar mileage and are quality. However, the 2003-2009 (W211) years were an unbridled failure for the E, especially years 2004-2008. We avoided them years, and bought the 2010 R320 this year, although I loathe the R class (it's the wifes' car). Maybe unbelievably, the E Class isn't big enough for 3 kids in the back, not with the car seats you have ot have!

If you have a good one, which I hope, you'll enjoy a lot of car for the money, and hopefully for a long time. I'd recommend, at that age, and for that model, if you're going to run it for a long long time, use a local garage, and service it twice a year, and you will genuinely enjoy 10 years of comfortable cheap motoring. Use Mercedes main dealers, and you will be raped each time you visit them. I know from painful experience...

Agreed. There is no way I am going to spend 10k for servicing on a car I spent 5k for.....

Comment

If it’s automatic; you’re in for some big bills like £1200 for a plastic clip when it sticks in ‘Park’
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              If it’s automatic; you’re in for some big bills like £1200 for a plastic clip when it sticks in ‘Park’
              Never seen a manual E320CDI.

To be honest, that's what scrap yards are for.

Comment

Get anything you want to buy AA checked. Not a lot to avoid a ringer so money well spent IMO.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X