• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many miles will a BMW 5 series 530D do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    BMW drive is still good very nice even in the 2 litre diesel.

Also gonna check out a 530d while I am there (80k miles as well).
    9 year old diesel drives well? You'd be lucky if some of it's 141 horses haven't escaped. It's a desperate act of someone who has lost imagination in their lives. A diesel coupe, is like someone trying to put the contents of a £3 Hungarian red, into an empty bottle of Barolo.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      This thread has gone seriously downhill.....

Okay, so you want a cheap 2 litre diesel car......Milan! We have a buyer lined up for your Passat...
      I said earlier I am not after engine size - I am not trying to make up for any deficiencies....

Main thing is the BMW drive and comfort.

There are 2 cars at that garage I will be going to see:

Used Bmw 5 Series Saloon 530d Se 4dr Auto in Warrington, Merseyside | Cottrell Motor Co Ltd

and the earlier one.

Comment

Don't forget to budget for a bumper sticker that says "I've admitted defeat"
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Don't forget to budget for a bumper sticker that says "I've admitted defeat"
          no worries. I'll make sure to budget for another one as well that says "I've gambled and won"

Comment

Apparently that advert is for a BMW with a 'MEGA SPEC'

No one is being very supportive! but I guess anything which seems like a bargain simply will not be....

but good luck!

Comment

I said earlier I am not after engine size - I am not trying to make up for any deficiencies....

Main thing is the BMW drive and comfort.
              Surely however legendary BMW might be for this (which is very arguable) you will have lost most of that as the car ages. More modern cheaper car will give a better ride than a massively heavy old BMW in my opinion. However well designed it is after 80k miles of bouncing around the shocks are hardly going to be at their best. You haven't mentioned Audi's yet either.

BMW are not alone in drive and comfort either.. like most of us can tell as we are not car testers. I think despite your protestations this is about it being a BMW.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Surely however legendary BMW might be for this (which is very arguable) you will have lost most of that as the car ages. More modern cheaper car will give a better ride than a massively heavy old BMW in my opinion. However well designed it is after 80k miles of bouncing around the shocks are hardly going to be at their best. You haven't mentioned Audi's yet either.

BMW are not alone in drive and comfort either.. like most of us can tell as we are not car testers. I think despite your protestations this is about it being a BMW.
                This is from my first hand experience. My VW has done under 80k (at the time under 70k) when I tested out my friends BMW 320d (160k on the clock and older). It felt like new and a lot more comfortable than mine. Same goes with another friends 525d - comfort, style and performance with 120k on the clock.

Comment

This is from my first hand experience. My VW has done under 80k (at the time under 70k) when I tested out my friends BMW 320d (160k on the clock and older). It felt like new and a lot more comfortable than mine. Same goes with another friends 525d - comfort, style and performance with 120k on the clock.
                  I am sure they will against a Golf, so will many other big saloons.

Comment

no worries. I'll make sure to budget for another one as well that says "I've gambled and won"
                    If you're going to buy a clapped out Beemer at least get one with a big straight six and awful economy. 535 is alright. 330ci is nice too. Should be able to pick one up for three grand.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      I'd stretch a few more quids and get the 535D. Same thing (but 50 bhp more) with twice as many turbos.

Which means when one goes pop, you've still got the other one!
                      Gotta give it to Dim, he hasn't changed his opinion since NWP2C's first post about this back in Sept last year. I thought this level of indecisiveness was Psychocandys domain

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-3-series.html

Unlike Sas who changes it more often than his undercrackers.....

Comment

Working...
                      X