• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Train+taxi or drive to client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the new gig!

Comment

Originally posted by maria89 View Post
      If it helps, I'm doing my first contract, driving 110 miles there and 110 miles back everyday, about 1 hour & 45 mins each way. Driving is less hassle, comfort & convenience of your own space/car as opposed to pissing around with catching trains and buying tickets everyday. (Not to mention Layering up with hats boots and coats in the winter!)
      I just finished a contract that involved a 90 mile car journey that would take 2.5 to 3 hours, depending on the accidents through the road works.

It was neither relaxing nor convenient and I would swap it for the winter layering any time.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I just finished a contract that involved a 90 mile car journey that would take 2.5 to 3 hours, depending on the accidents through the road works.

It was neither relaxing nor convenient and I would swap it for the winter layering any time.
        WSS I much prefer the train to driving, can sleep, watch iPlayer or work, all of which are frowned upon when you're sat in the driving seat doing 70 on the M6!

Comment

Originally posted by maria89 View Post
          If it helps, I'm doing my first contract, driving 110 miles there and 110 miles back everyday, about 1 hour & 45 mins each way. Driving is less hassle, comfort & convenience of your own space/car as opposed to pissing around with catching trains and buying tickets everyday. (Not to mention Layering up with hats boots and coats in the winter!)
          Season ticket takes away the hassle of buying ticket every day. Think train/car both have advantages/disadvantages

Train advantage is you can kip, read, watch DVD on train.
          Disadvantage is its sometimes packed and sweaty. Sometimes it takes longer.

Car advantage is its your space and you can travel when you want.
          Disadvantage is you've to concentrate and drive it!

Ideal situation of course would be your car driven by someone else. Maybe a chauffeur is the best option? :-)
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Just considering another contract which would probably involve staying away a night or two. 110 miles drive (2 hours) or 2 hours on train.

Train ticket is strange. £170 return or £220 for week so worth getting season if you only use twice. Was considering monday there and back same day. Tuesday up stay tues night. Home wednesday night back thursday am, stay thursday night home friday. That way only monday is two journeys the other days are just one.

Anyone got a better system for 5 days away?

Only problem is whereas train sounds nicer, its about 2 miles from office so theres taxi/bike as well (with taxi adding to overall cost/time to get to office).

Also, of course, if I train it up there on the days I stay up I aint got car to get around to hotel/pub/supermarket/cinema or whatever. Would probably split and do a bit of both but getting train season ticket seems the sensible option. (Although I guess I could drive one week, train the next).

BTW - journey is from Newport (cymru) to bracknell....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              BTW - journey is from Newport (cymru) to bracknell....
              All I will say is if you drive, consider the fact that it will take you at least 30 minutes to get from the M4 into Bracknell (about 1 -3 miles), and back out again in the evening, so you'll have to add this in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                All I will say is if you drive, consider the fact that it will take you at least 30 minutes to get from the M4 into Bracknell (about 1 -3 miles), and back out again in the evening, so you'll have to add this in.
                I'm glad you wrote that not me - plus you need to add the accident/car breakdown/lorry shedding their load etc that is guaranteed to happen once a week.

Personally PC if you need to drive home from Bracknell do it twice a week and no more otherwise you will be too knackered.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  I'm glad you wrote that not me - plus you need to add the accident/car breakdown/lorry shedding their load etc that is guaranteed to happen once a week.

Personally PC if you need to drive home from Bracknell do it twice a week and no more otherwise you will be too knackered.
                  Yes, to give some context, I used to drive to Bracknell every day. I'd join the M4 at Reading and was heading to the Western Industrial estate, near the Coppid Beech hotel. Reading to the office could take anywhere up to about 1 hour in the morning. In the evenings there were regular traffic jams on the A329 heading back to the M4, and quite often delays on the M4 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Anyone got a better system for 5 days away?
                    Travel down Monday morning, travel back Friday afternoon.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                      Travel down Monday morning, travel back Friday afternoon find somewhere as close to clientco as possible (preferably walking distance)
                      FTFY HTH as my 5 minute drive along the motorway from the travelodge I stay at occasionally can take 40 minutes if there is a problem...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X