• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VMS is finally dead

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Isn't that revealing top secret info given that Met Office is MOD?
    top secret would be telling you the MOD opinion of Met office forecasts. The Met office is actually part of the Department for Business Innovation and Skills
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Isn't that revealing top secret info given that Met Office is MOD?
      Nope

Met Office: Fortran 90
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        top secret would be telling you the MOD opinion of Met office forecasts. The Met office is actually part of the Department for Business Innovation and Skills
        WHS as of 2011
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

top secret would be telling you the MOD opinion of Met office forecasts.
          I can probably guess it

Comment

We had loads of it the Nuclear power station I worked on, mixed arch geo clusters networked CD drives you could remote install VMS from, 19" VaxStations with DecWindows.

This was 1995...

Comment

Shouldn't that be the Department for Business Offshoring and Deskilling ?
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

The letter doesn't sound quite as terminal as the article.

OpenVMS.org - OpenVMS Community Portal, News and Info

" We are committed to providing you updates and support for the V8.4 OpenVMS operating environment through at least December 31, 2020."

Comment

Once had a conversation in the Bayshill Inn in Cheltenham with a chap who had a bunch of Fortran code for analysing low frequency radio signals. Didn't know at the time that it was the regular haunt of the GCHQ crowd.

Anyway, when he finds this, here's the info he was looking for: How To Create a FORTRAN DLL and Call It from Visual Basic

Comment

Nearly all of this: operations centre that I worked on was Fortran
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I had to compile some Fortran recently. It was part of an open source library, that was part of an open source library, etc., etc., and it seemed quite exciting - I've never seen Fortran before. That was some GIS conversion routines.

As for VMS, at university all the science types used VMS, and all the computing and electronics people used Unix and rightly looked down on the VMS users. I took a functional programming course where the lecturer obviously took delight in basing all the examples on a vending machine - Vending Machine Simple as he called it.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X