• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you an Excel guru?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    My problem is that I'm not good at pure theory with Excel so I can't learn stuff without a problem to solve.
    can you not 'invent' a problem that needs solving

I once built a multi-player animated game in msaccess that I called 'Tora Bora'

where one side had to catch osama, the other had to hide in the caves.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      Been a bane of my career. I have found, many little offices, have a go to person, and the person who knows a bit about developing and he’s been building little spreadsheets for years that make his life easier. Then the department becomes reliant on these little spreadsheets, and the tech guys adds a little bit more functionality here and there, then the organisation starts relying on it to automate some of its processes. Then work out, some of these orgs I work for, have 100 branches, each with their little go to person doing their own little thing.

You have 100’s, sometimes thousands, of stupid little spreadsheets, or worse, access databases, holding their own versions of central data. Then, you have the political nightmare, of getting the departments to agree to give these little tools up, so you can centralise the applications using a properly designed, specc’d and built application. Also, then you have to agree a common data model...

Earlier in my career, I would have to understand complex spreadsheets, so I knew what they were getting up to, and some of the code....

I still actually come across this sometimes, current client has many departments who operate on their own, different, versions of centralised data; nightmare.
      It happens in all big companies. From time to time they have a push to mop up all these little user developed tools and replace them with one big all singing & dancing system. But what you find is the big system is often delivered some time in the future when the buisiness has moved on and no longer meets the specific needs of the users, and so itself spawns a number of spreadsheets to workaround the gaps. Also, as fast as you mop the Excel Access solutions up, somebody (me) is sat somewhere in the business churning out ever more complicated ones.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

A rather large telecoms co that I once worked for had over 40K employees payroll calculations handled on a in-house rather bespoke Access db for years - the thing was so tetchy that the person who 'wrote' it spent all month maintaining and tweeking it for the next pay-run.

Said Co decided to go to a more commercial product and the project kicked off.

I suggested we go for a comparative test - running the same data on both systems with identical parameters for the pay-roll. That was accepted as a decent initial approach, then it all went t**s up.

WHY? I hear you all ask.

The bespoke access guru decided that IF there were any variances in the results then all it would prove is the the commercial product was wrong - he refused to entertain the possibililty that HIS precious database could be wrong and when I pointed that out he withdrew his co-operation and refused to provide the base data needed for the comparative testing.

Any decent PM would have kicked this guys arse around the office and out the door - the PM for this project went on a months holiday and canned the project on his return.

As far as I know there's still 40K people relying on one arrogant t**t and an Access db for their monthly pay.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
          The bespoke access guru decided that IF there were any variances in the results then all it would prove is the the commercial product was wrong - he refused to entertain the possibililty that HIS precious database could be wrong and when I pointed that out he withdrew his co-operation and refused to provide the base data needed for the comparative testing.
          Payroll is the one thing you can't mess up. You change peoples hours, offices.... and eventually they accept it and shut up. Screw up pay even slightly and you'll never hear the end of it.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post

Any decent PM would have kicked this guys arse around the office and out the door - the PM for this project went on a months holiday and canned the project on his return.

As far as I know there's still 40K people relying on one arrogant t**t and an Access db for their monthly pay.
            Ah yes, the old 'proven technology' lie. Testers hear it all the time, and I usually ask 'proven? How and by whom?'

Doesn't always help though; some people, especially managers, are just too thick to understand that if you haven't found the faults, it doesn't mean they aren't there and that nobody has suffered damage from them.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Never a fan of Excel and I don’t like the interface.
              Does anyone remember Boeing Calc?
              There are some nice plugins for Excel that may help.

Application Models Library
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I've been thinking about writing some articles about the phenomenon of people uncritically believing what it says on their screen above other sources of information. A sort of 'Computer says no' advanced module.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                  It happens in all big companies. From time to time they have a push to mop up all these little user developed tools and replace them with one big all singing & dancing system. But what you find is the big system is often delivered some time in the future when the buisiness has moved on and no longer meets the specific needs of the users, and so itself spawns a number of spreadsheets to workaround the gaps. Also, as fast as you mop the Excel Access solutions up, somebody (me) is sat somewhere in the business churning out ever more complicated ones.
                  Thanks - I get lots of this work!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Never a fan of Excel and I don’t like the interface.
                    Does anyone remember Boeing Calc?
                    There are some nice plugins for Excel that may help.

Application Models Library
                    What's up with the interface?
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                      What's up with the interface?
                      Exactly, what could be better than a grid of rectangles each of which contains magic?
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X