• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Middle Lane Smackdown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I can see the benefit as a driver, but how does that work for pedestrians?
    Pedestrians have right of way, if the crossing lights are in their favor (sic).

Most junctions allow this - those that don't allow a right turn on red have signs up telling you that you don't have the right of way.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      To be frank, driving in the states has taught me if you want to arrive somewhere less stressed, then pop cruise on and sit around at 60-70mph. Invariably, you do not lose that much time, and are sooooo much more relaxed when you get there.
      That's one of the things that they mentioned on my defensive driving course many years back.

I learned it properly when we bought a 30 year old campervan with a top speed of about 55. You can't get stressed getting stuck in traffic, because you wouldn't be going that much faster anyway
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

A nice way to top up the shrinking Police budgets. Chuck 'em a little fish now and then. "Here, fine fine fine till the cows come home." Its all a load of crap.

I prefer it over here rather than in America where drivers don't give anyone a quarter. But at least American's are able to make their own lane changes without me having to flash at them first.

If I see a slower driver in the middle lane I just under take them plain and simple. And that's how it should be.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Does that mean all volvo drivers will be arrested?

There's no undertaking on Swiss roads, though you're allowed to pass on the inside in congested traffice. If, however, you pass on the inside, in order to switch lanes into the outside - i.e. undertaking, as opposed to merely passing - you can get a ticket.

Personally, I think multiple rocket launchers are the only real solution to the problem of lane hoggers.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Does that mean all volvo drivers will be arrested?

There's no undertaking on Swiss roads, though you're allowed to pass on the inside in congested traffice. If, however, you pass on the inside, in order to switch lanes into the outside - i.e. undertaking, as opposed to merely passing - you can get a ticket.

Personally, I think multiple rocket launchers are the only real solution to the problem of lane hoggers.
            Another Playstation Wipeout fan.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Pedestrians have right of way, if the crossing lights are in their favor (sic).

Most junctions allow this - those that don't allow a right turn on red have signs up telling you that you don't have the right of way.
              The sign more likely says 'No Right Turn On Red'. Heck as soon as a pedestrian put foot on to road, they have right of way even at unsignaled crossings. In Canada I never used to check for cars when crossing at junctions, ever. I've nearly been hit here a few times and have had to re-learn crossing. it really is crap here for pedestrians.

Particularly in some areas where cars will hoot at you to move so they can park on the pavement. I'd rather the Police did something about that than a few stragglers in the middle lanes of a motorway that is just going to stop in 2miles anyway.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                You don't think that is possible in our current set-up?
                Of course it is, but it's more predictable, in the US you can see a car coming up behind another and have no idea where he will go. I suppose it has benefits if you're the slower car that you don't have to keep getting out of the way but it just seems messy.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                  The sign more likely says 'No Right Turn On Red'. Heck as soon as a pedestrian put foot on to road, they have right of way even at unsignaled crossings.
                  You obviously haven't come across the teenage boys who think it's funny to limp across a main road as slowly as possible at a place they decide to cross at, or the OAPs who decide to play chicken.

There have been a few hit and runs on some of the roads I use because of this.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    You obviously haven't come across the teenage boys who think it's funny to limp across a main road as slowly as possible at a place they decide to cross at, or the OAPs who decide to play chicken.

There have been a few hit and runs on some of the roads I use because of this.
                    Did they wear a snail costume?

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Middle lane voted ‘best lane’
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X