• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is Happenning in Istanbul?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yep, although they might see their economic future in the Middle East and Asia, urban Turks and the army are very protective of the secular state and Ataturk is still highly revered for his role in creating it; you see his portrait all over the place in Istanbul and it's a political statement that says 'religion belongs at home and in the mosque, not in civic life'.
    Last week the portraits were far less common than they used to be both on the European and Asian sides. There were also more headscarfs but I think that is less because people feel they have to wear them (as many people seemed to argue) but more because its no longer socially unacceptable to wear them.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Last week the portraits were far less common than they used to be both on the European and Asian sides. There were also more headscarfs but I think that is less because people feel they have to wear them (as many people seemed to argue) but more because its no longer socially unacceptable to wear them.
      Pulled down by Erdogan's chums? I bet if you go in people's houses or in offices and restaurants you still see Ataturk.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Pulled down by Erdogan's chums? I bet if you go in people's houses or in offices and restaurants you still see Ataturk.
        That was in houses, shops and restaurants. It was very obvious in both the grand and Spice Bazaars.

As I just did a single workshop in a hotel I didn't see any offices this time around although I don't remember modern offices having many even when I was there last time around.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          That was in houses, shops and restaurants. It was very obvious in both the grand and Spice Bazaars.

As I just did a single workshop in a hotel I didn't see any offices this time around although I don't remember modern offices having many even when I was there last time around.
          I suppose he's ancient history to many younger Turks
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            Just Googled Aylin Aslim. Oho yes.
            God no

Comment

Working...
            X