• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The house that MF built

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone else play the Benny Hill soundtrack in the background when reading this thread.

Best of luck with it MF. Sounds like a royal PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      If they claim heat pumps work they are lying as it will cost a blooming fortune with low heat radiators or underfloor heating.

Go for the solar panels (assuming you face south and not east west).
      It's looking likely I will need to add some panels.
      I'm arguing with some guy who has a spreadsheet. When I pointed out his recommendation for electric didn't have a way to provide hot water he went, yes your right, added a cylinder which then increased the heat loss calculation and promptly failed it. Absolutely fooking unbelievable.

In the next few years they're talking about 0 carbon footprint houses, being a small property developer will be almost impossible.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The right to buy extends to existing properties in England by next year, so that's one less worry about lowering the house price
        Last edited by amcdonald; 17 September 2013, 11:09.
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Just out of interest MF, when you make your life choices e.g. jobs, contract roles, investments, money-making ideas, do you do the opposite of most of us and go for the hardest, toughest, most complex, most annoying, most likely to fail options?
          Do you need to have therapy because you're a masochist?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Just out of interest MF, when you make your life choices e.g. jobs, contract roles, investments, money-making ideas, do you do the opposite of most of us and go for the hardest, toughest, most complex, most annoying, most likely to fail options?
            Do you need to have therapy because you're a masochist?
            I like a challenge.

Mrs just flipped out when I told her I was booking a flight to go to Ghangzhou (Canton Gift Fair) at the end of October to source garden furniture for a possible import business next year. When she pointed out that work, travelling backwards and forwards to the US & building a house was already over the top already, she asked how the hell was I going to find the time to be able to make the trip.

Telling her I was going to work out of the Singapore office for a week before heading over to China for the weekend did not go down particularly well.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Telling her I was going to work out of the Singapore office for a week before heading over to China for the weekend did not go down particularly well.
              Maybe she is worried about you and a nasty little rash from the ladyboys?

does sound like you are pushing the envelope!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Telling her I was going to work out of the Singapore office for a week before missing my flight to China for the weekend did not go down particularly well.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

We're off grid as well. Currently having a biomass boiler installed. Expensive but you will get RHI.
                  Beer
                  is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                  Benjamin Franklin

Comment

If you look at all the grants, and feed ins, RHI's etc, then you've got to realise, it isn't one thing that's the silver bullet, it's all, or as much as you can. We currently souring ground source heat pumps, Solar PV and Solar water. Payback is 8 years planned on a South facing roof with a pitch of 40 degrees. They start to get inefficient if you have a different pitch, or not south facing, although south, south west isn't too bad. Ground source heat pumps do work, we had one in the barn conversion, but spec it well, and research your companies. If you have a small garden, just need to dog 3 deep holes. Trowbridge isn't hard rock, so it will be cheaper than digging through Granite in Cornwall; I assume the garden is small. If you mix the three together, you should get away with almost 75-80% of your heating, more if you spec it right, and 60% of your water heating costs. Remember, in 8 years, you start earning moolah for another 12 years.

Solar is coming down in price, so 4KW costs about 6-7k, a GSHP about £12 and Solar Water about £3k. You'll get £3200, £1200 and £600 back for the GSHP, SPV and SWH in the right circumstances. So, around £15k gets you all that, plus it will sell for more than a home that isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                      If you have a small garden, just need to dog 3 deep holes.
                      I don't see how that would help
                      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                      X