• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Super commuters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you push a Cray out of the back of the lorry, would it be known as a Super Commuter Computer ?

Just wondered.....
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Xena
      I used to commute to Slough.

Same here. At least I was doing it from London so it was against the flow, so to speak.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
        Same here. At least I was doing it from London so it was against the flow, so to speak.
        In the early 1980s I used to commute from Baker Street to Perivale (change at Oxford Circus).

Almost empty trains, no delays, greeted by fresh air and the singing birdies at the other end.

Used to be able to smoke on the tube then too, and read the NME. Although I have since forgone these evil habits.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I've thought about this myself - I half-heartedly looked at smallish flats in Barcelona and the Isle de France. Prices seemed fairly low compared to here, but god knows how many traps there are to avoid... taxation was an issue as well.

But then, if you are in a position to live in a decent place... would you really want to come back here to work....?
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Bollox. The EU is already upping taxes on cheap flights for "environmental" reasons. Cheap flights will soon be going the way of the dodo.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
              There are no words
              That's what I thought every morning when I parked up in the Brunel Way bus station car park.

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                I've thought about this myself - I half-heartedly looked at smallish flats in Barcelona and the Isle de France.
                a) Ile
                b) Bordeaux to Brussels nearly every week for eight years, resulting in Frequent Flyer membership and a divorce ( / ).
                We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                  Bollox. The EU is already upping taxes on cheap flights for "environmental" reasons. Cheap flights will soon be going the way of the dodo.
                  So that's what happened. The British landed on the island and taxed the Dodo's to death. Bastards!

Comment

I'll bet there was a similar story run when those new fangled car thingies were invented.

"Some enterprising chappies are living as far away as Harrogate and commuting to Leeds on a daily basis in their automobiles..."

Then look what happened to the roads!

Comment

car or train?

Originally posted by Xena
                      I used to commute to Slough.
                      I had a job interview in Slough which gave me a good idea of how strenuous the journey by public transport is. Having been offered the contract I'm now considering getting a car to do the commute.

Is driving there any better? Any tips on routes, leaving times (i live in Crouch End, North London)?

Any advice much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                      X