• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Super commuters

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Super commuters"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Train, car or bike?
    Fat woman....

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Sounds eminently sensible to me.

I've fallen off one & it hurts.

A lot.
    Train, car or bike?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    You have to remember one thing about driving around/within/outside the M25.

Every 3 weeks or so you will have the journey from hell. Instead of an hour it will take 3 1/2. This usually happens when it rains, for some reason people in the rainy UK aren't used to driving in the rain.

Leave a comment:

• newcommuter
    replied
    Originally posted by Dalek Supreme
    Not a prayer.
    so,to finish this off, is the general consensus that it isn't worth getting a car because I wouldn't make it to the office before 10 anyway, which is when a train would get me there?

thanks for all your replies

Leave a comment:

• newcommuter
    replied
    thank you for your kind advice Lone Gunman.
    However somehow I don't see myself getting on a motorbike every morning.I'm absolutely terrified of motorbikes,silly as it may sound.

Leave a comment:

• Dalek Supreme
    replied
    Originally posted by newcommuter
    thanks for that.
    unfortunately i can only drop my son off at nursery at 8.15 at the very earliest. What's it like after that? Is there any way I could make it to the office for 9.30?
    Not a prayer.

Leave a comment:

• newcommuter
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    You haven't thought this through very much have you?
    actually, i have, as they won't expect me to get there before 10am, 3 days a week. The rest of the time I will be working from home I am just trying to find out whether it would be viable to get a car for those 3 days or whether to do the trip by train. it only makes sense if the car gets me there quicker.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    You haven't thought this through very much have you?

Leave a comment:

• monkeyboy
    replied
    thanks for that.
    unfortunately i can only drop my son off at nursery at 8.15 at the very earliest. What's it like after that? Is there any way I could make it to the office for 9.30?

No chance

Leave a comment:

• newcommuter
    replied
    Originally posted by Dalek Supreme
    On that route driving is best but you need to leave home 06:30 latest (06:00 is better) and leave the office by 16:30 latest (16:00 is better). That way the trip takes less than 1 hour each way.
    thanks for that.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I was being serious. That area is major commuter belt. Overcrowded sweaty trains full of people shouting at their mobiles. Cars stuck in traffic jams.

Biking is a lot of fun and you can filter through the jams (on the right bike). You can gat all the right gear for winter to be warm and dry.
    You can do intense courses to get your licence for about 500 quid.

The downside is having to be very aware of all the other idiots on the road. Having to be very careful how you ride, it hurts if you are not. Having to put up with every arsehole copper trying to enforce anti bike legislation.

Some of the time you gain in not being stuck in traffic is eaten away by having to change at either end of your journey, but the grin factor usualy makes up for that.

Leave a comment:

• Dalek Supreme
    replied
    On that route driving is best but you need to leave home 06:30 latest (06:00 is better) and leave the office by 16:30 latest (16:00 is better). That way the trip takes less than 1 hour each way.

Leave a comment:

• newcommuter
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Motorcycle.
    any other suggestions?
    is car better than train?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I had a job interview in Slough which gave me a good idea of how strenuous the journey by public transport is. Having been offered the contract I'm now considering getting a car to do the commute.

Is driving there any better? Any tips on routes, leaving times (i live in Crouch End, North London)?

Any advice much appreciated

Motorcycle.

Leave a comment:

• newcommuter
    replied
    car or train?

Originally posted by Xena
    I used to commute to Slough.
    I had a job interview in Slough which gave me a good idea of how strenuous the journey by public transport is. Having been offered the contract I'm now considering getting a car to do the commute.

Is driving there any better? Any tips on routes, leaving times (i live in Crouch End, North London)?

Any advice much appreciated

Leave a comment:

Working...
X