• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cretins are two-a-penny since the debasement of education started in the early 90s.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    They have? I was applying to universities in '99 and Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, were definitely still 3 year courses for hard science and maths degrees, as were all the others I can remember like Bath, Warwick, etc.

Many offer an optional 4th year to get a masters, is that what you are referring to or something else? Scottish unis do 4-year courses as standard IIRC - have English ones started doing that as standard too?
    reason I put that in is that there was an article by a Physics Prof at Oxford who said he's had to change from 3 to 4 years. That was recently. I'll see if I can find it.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Erm, excuse me but if somebody's just plain thick, why would an extra year at university help? Inability to understand things isn't about speed of learning; it's just plain dimness.

On the other hand, someone with a good brain can probably do OK without university.
      He's saying that school syllabus' miss stuff out that the university has to teach on top of their "proper material".
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        So you will no longer be a MSILF?
        I will be a BA(Hons)

Comment

Surely you don't agree with #4.
          No you're right. My rates are sky high because I'm good at what I do. False modesty doesn't become me.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            reason I put that in is that there was an article by a Physics Prof at Oxford who said he's had to change from 3 to 4 years. That was recently. I'll see if I can find it.
            Maybe they should extend their terms a bit... 24 weeks a year when I was doing UCAS!!
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

He's saying that school syllabus' miss stuff out that the university has to teach on top of their "proper material".
              Oh, OK. Well, not OK, but never mind; I understand now. But you see what I mean; I'm a bit slow sometimes, but not thick. Some people are just plain thick and won't understand the material however long they take.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

They have? I was applying to universities in '99 and Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, ?
                Anyway that was a tad over-ambitious wasn't it?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

They have? I was applying to universities in '99 and Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, ...
                  Looks like we applied to the same Polys! Did you end up at Leicester too?
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

In other words an A-level in Maths today is not worth the same as one in the 80s.
                    You can check the evidence for that by looking at the papers online.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Surely you don't agree with #4.
                      To an extent I do. But it's not much the quality of grads - it's the lack of them.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X