• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just had a strange moment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    So I got bored this evening and decided to walk to to the local Italian restaurant, which has a bar.

I walked in, asked to speak in English if possible. This set the cat amongst the German pigeons as no one spoke any kind of English.
    You don't work for Microsoft in a management position do you?: Hitler Reacts to Xbox One reveal - YouTube
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Certainly an Englishman even trying is appreciated, but this was different. I got lost in the language and forgot I was speaking it. I felt free, if only for 20 minutes.

When they asked me what was so wrong with my German, I sat back and thought, well, not much. Conversationally I have come a bloody long way in 6 weeks.
      very impressive suity.
      When you start to make sense in English as well, I will buy you a mars bar.
      (ein caramacen sticken ze)
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

So I got bored this evening and decided to walk to to the local Italian restaurant, which has a bar.

I walked in, asked to speak in English if possible. This set the cat amongst the German pigeons as no one spoke any kind of English.

As quick as a flash I stepped in, apologised for the imposition, and said I would try my best in German.

So I explained my rather complicated imposition, ordered a glass or wine, borrowed a fag and a lighter and made comment on the Italian football match currently being screened.

Then proceeded to explain who I was, what the fook I was doing there, etc etc.

Got into quite a chit chat with the locals.

After about 20 minutes, one of said locals said "so what specifically is wrong with your German?"

All was spoken in German.

I was so lost in the moment, and so ensconced on red wine I quite forgot my German was crap and just spoke it.

Weird feeling, when you forget what language you are speaking and just get airborne.

Quite pleased.
        I must have lost the plot half way through - Why would you need to speak German in an Italian restaurant, in Luton?

Or is this just Suity's roundabout way of informing us that he _can_ speak German?
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Fascinating story this.

Comment

Seems unlikely none of the Germans spoke English.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Also in Germany you see a lot of Greek restaurants, they are usually Turkish, pretending to be Greek.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                I must have lost the plot half way through - Why would you need to speak German in an Italian restaurant, in Luton?

Or is this just Suity's roundabout way of informing us that he _can_ speak German?
                Please see the "Location" section of my profile. Hint, it's next to every one of my posts.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Fascinating story this.

Cheers bud. In fairness I was pissed when I posted. (PWIP)

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Again, it was an Italian restuarant.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

A lot of being able to speak fluently is getting over your inhibitions. I'm a fluent French and German speaker. I often get the grammar wrong and frequently use the wrong word or pronunciation, but it's fluent gibberish. Somehow, though, it doesn't usually interfere with comprehension.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    A lot of being able to speak fluently is getting over your inhibitions. I'm a fluent French and German speaker. I often get the grammar wrong and frequently use the wrong word or pronunciation, but it's fluent gibberish. Somehow, though, it doesn't usually interfere with comprehension.
                    I speak slur fluently

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Of all the Europeans I've worked with the Germans are the worst when it comes to English. Even the French have a better overall level of comprehension.
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X