• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client wants me to write what I'll be working on

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have they explained why they want this doing?
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

probably not but I bet some where this is a micro managing middle managment nob jockey

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
        Have they explained why they want this doing?
        no need, I bet they really are that disorganised. Or you will be soon learning Hindi first hand.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Forward the request to your Project Manager for them to explain
          This request is from the PM. The job description is rather vague, but I was hoping it would crystalize in the due course, but apparently it's not

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
            This request is from the PM. The job description is rather vague, but I was hoping it would crystalize in the due course, but apparently it's not
            mmm in that case I fear the PM is being told to cut costs from the project and so he/she is seeing who is/is not despensible

do you have a niche skillset?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              mmm in that case I fear the PM is being told to cut costs from the project and so he/she is seeing who is/is not despensible

do you have a niche skillset?
              Or, on the other hand, start with "Year 1-2: Capture requirements" ..... take it as far as you can?

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                there is a part of me that is really concerned with the fact that client has no clue what they want delivered as the likelihood of success in such a scenario is slim.
                Perhaps you need to look at it in a different light. You get to dive in, find out what they need, define the project scope & technical architecture, lead the development and generally have a bit of space to do things well. Perhaps that's a broader or less technically focussed role than you are used to and you're not confident you can pull it off, but in that case you just have to ask yourself if you can really mess it up more than the worst people you've seen over the course of your career, and the chances are that you can't, so there is really nothing to worry about.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                X