• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Client wants me to write what I'll be working on"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    there is a part of me that is really concerned with the fact that client has no clue what they want delivered as the likelihood of success in such a scenario is slim.
    Perhaps you need to look at it in a different light. You get to dive in, find out what they need, define the project scope & technical architecture, lead the development and generally have a bit of space to do things well. Perhaps that's a broader or less technically focussed role than you are used to and you're not confident you can pull it off, but in that case you just have to ask yourself if you can really mess it up more than the worst people you've seen over the course of your career, and the chances are that you can't, so there is really nothing to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    mmm in that case I fear the PM is being told to cut costs from the project and so he/she is seeing who is/is not despensible

do you have a niche skillset?
    Or, on the other hand, start with "Year 1-2: Capture requirements" ..... take it as far as you can?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    This request is from the PM. The job description is rather vague, but I was hoping it would crystalize in the due course, but apparently it's not
    mmm in that case I fear the PM is being told to cut costs from the project and so he/she is seeing who is/is not despensible

do you have a niche skillset?

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Forward the request to your Project Manager for them to explain
    This request is from the PM. The job description is rather vague, but I was hoping it would crystalize in the due course, but apparently it's not

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Have they explained why they want this doing?
    no need, I bet they really are that disorganised. Or you will be soon learning Hindi first hand.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    probably not but I bet some where this is a micro managing middle managment nob jockey

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Have they explained why they want this doing?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    My responses vary between just putting in notice and sending a following list of task:
    learning to play ukulele
    watching celebrities in bikini online
    posting on CUK

The contractor in me says just keep on invoicing, but there is a part of me that is really concerned with the fact that client has no clue what they want delivered as the likelihood of success in such a scenario is slim.

Tell them there has been a misunderstanding,; what they are paying for is an ‘attendance fee’

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Cracking time to write up your ideal position me thinks...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Office chair

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Client wants me to write what I'll be working on
    1. My Thesis.
    2. My Abs.
    3. My Own.

Next.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    "Filling in stupid forms"

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Q: What are you working on?
    A: Your mom

Leave a comment:

• Alias
    replied
    reply with a copy of the job description you responded to...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    My responses vary between just putting in notice and sending a following list of task:
    learning to play ukulele
    watching celebrities in bikini online
    posting on CUK

The contractor in me says just keep on invoicing, but there is a part of me that is really concerned with the fact that client has no clue what they want delivered as the likelihood of success in such a scenario is slim.
    Add to list;

- searcing for another contract

Leave a comment:

Working...
X