• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you remember...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Larry the lounge lizard.[/IMG]
    Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards

I think you'll find

I completed that one too. You could make Larry do stuff like take a dump and shag female characters

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
      Hunt the Wumpus
      I think I played that on a Teletype !

I played Star Trek on a Data General Aviion mini computer in the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Nope.

Nothing that sophisticated, must have been around 1977/78.

IIRC it was a sort of maze game.

And there was some sort of driving game in 1978/9 that I played about twice but resented having to pay so stopped.
        Tank?

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Doom was ok

but before that I loved Rebelstar Raiders, Lords of midnight and a neat little game called Chaos
          Lords of Midnight = classic. Bit too easy though.

Never really got into the follow-up though - bit too complex for me.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
            My Dad bought one of those for my sister and I - I do remember my Mum going nuts over how much it cost.

I had a ZX Spectrum 16k (we were too poor for me to get a 48k). I bought one from ebay and excitedly showed it to my son - has was not impressed.
            Me too. 16K. Then I paid for the memory myself and upgraded it.

Still got mine.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Used to like the multiplayer arcade game Gauntlet. Who would have known about 20 years later we'd have MMORPGs such as WoW?

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

For those of you who want to rekindle their "Elite" memories, I've been playing "Oolite" for the past couple of months. It's a true re-write of the original for PC and you can install OXP's for additional functionality.

Elite is currently being redeveloped and should be out around the end of the year...but in the meantime, Commander, Oolite to "Load new Commander"
                Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
                  For those of you who want to rekindle their "Elite" memories, I've been playing "Oolite" for the past couple of months. It's a true re-write of the original for PC and you can install OXP's for additional functionality.

Elite is currently being redeveloped and should be out around the end of the year...but in the meantime, Commander, Oolite to "Load new Commander"
                  +1

Been playing Oolite on and off for a couple of years. Pure nostalgia.

Linky
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post

+1 from me too. Note that it's not only for PC, but also Mac and Linux.

And if you fancy some truly hard core nostalgia, Ian Bell's site has the 6502 assembly language source code for the original BBC Micro version, along with the game itself for various 8 and 16 bit platforms, runnable in modern emulators: Elite Home Page - Archive Index

Comment

The very first game I ever played was on a home brew machine of uncertain provenance built by my Maths teacher some time around 1979/80. It was called Snarks and I have never seen anything like it since.

It used Ascii graphics in black and white and involved the management and control of creatures called Snarks that would shoot about the screen vertically and horizontally unless interrupted in their progress by you (killing you in the process), a boulder you had pushed into their path when they would randomly change direction, a tree, which were poisonous to players and snarks alike, or another Snark when there was a chance of them producing offspring.

With good management you could build walled enclosures with the boulders and farm the Snarks by penning them in and letting them breed before letting them out again. There was no score and no objective but I remember being completely fascinated by it.

I blame this formative experience for the years of squandered time since spent playing games of all descriptions.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X