• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cooking for foreigners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    How about getting out and forraging for some wild ingredients?

Just did a wild garlic and marscapone tagliatelle - was frikkin delicious. Can't get much more native than that. Well, the garlic anyway...
    Unfortunately my foraging days are over, especially here with the limited soil types.

Though the neighbours have wild garlic growing in their front garden ( though not sure I want cat p!ss flavoured garlic).
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

The last time we had friends over from Holland I did full beef roast (with yorkies OFC) & trifle all terribly British, they loved it
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
        The last time we had friends over from Holland I did full beef roast (with yorkies OFC) & trifle all terribly British, they loved it
        Would love to do that, but unfortunately I'm limited by the miniscule combi oven with one shelf that cloggies have in their houses, this one also decides when it may or may not cook things to temperature as well . Am kinda missing my double sized oven with accompanying single oven in my house in blighty. Thems the downsides of renting.

Also they haven't quite grasped the concept of aging their beef, most of which seems to be imported from intensively reared farms in Ireland and tastes of nowt. Thankfully I have found a butcher that farms his own meat, but nothing quite beats 2 month aged beef
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Give them Colcannon and a sausage and smack them if they call it Stamppot.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Give them Colcannon and a sausage and smack them if they call it Stamppot.
            I was tempted to do that and see the disappointed looks on their faces

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Hot-pot? Toad in the hole?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                chicken tikka masala?

isnt that the most british dish nowadays?
                I was toying with the idea of a curry...

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Beef and ale stew with suet dumplings.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Haggis, neeps and tatties.
                    Hey, that is Scottish dish!
                    My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Originally posted by istvan View Post
                      Hey, that is Scottish dish!
                      You obviously didn't read the original post........

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X