• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Warning: This bag of nuts may contain nuts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning: This bag of nuts may contain nuts

BBC News - Store pulls monkey nuts from shelves over 'peanut warning'

A supermarket chain has withdrawn bags of nuts - after failing to declare they may contain peanuts.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Have to agree with you on the allergy thing.

People who tend to be allergic to peanuts avoid all nuts.

However they need to withdraw the nuts because it's a misrepresentation of what's in the product just like beef actually being horse.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No warnings at ScrewFix either.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Have to agree with you on the allergy thing.

People who tend to be allergic to peanuts avoid all nuts.

However they need to withdraw the nuts because it's a misrepresentation of what's in the product just like beef actually being horse.
        I examined an apple today as I was going to buy a pound or so of it, and long behold the little label says something to the fact of its distributor's brand, but lacks the nut warning. Just for the fun of it, I looked at a jar of peanut butter. It says in large print on the jar, Peanut Butter. The content explains that it has 93% peanut in it, however I could not find a "may contain traces of peanut" warning either. How on earth would a peanut allergic person be warned about the danger. I go nuts
        My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Thought this was about a previous poster!!!!!
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Funny bit of stand up about nut allergies from Louis CK

Comment

Peanut allergy and nut allergy are different things. Peanuts aren't nuts. People with the nut allergy may be able to eat peanuts. People with peanut allergy may be able to eat nuts. So... a nut warning on a peanut product, or a peanut warning on a nut product (if there's risk of contamination) would make sense.

But peanut warning on peanuts? They'll be issuing instructions with toothpicks next.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Peanut allergy and nut allergy are different things. Peanuts aren't nuts. People with the nut allergy may be able to eat peanuts. People with peanut allergy may be able to eat nuts. So... a nut warning on a peanut product, or a peanut warning on a nut product (if there's risk of contamination) would make sense.

But peanut warning on peanuts? They'll be issuing instructions with toothpicks next.
                Hold stick near center of its length.
                Moisten pointed end in mouth.
                Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum.
                Use gentle in-and-out motion.
                Welcome to the asylum.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post

Hold stick near center of its length.
                  Moisten pointed end in mouth.
                  Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum.
                  Use gentle in-and-out motion.
                  Welcome to the asylum.

And for god's sake, don't bite!

Comment

Originally posted by istvan View Post
                    I looked at a jar of peanut butter. It says in large print on the jar, Peanut Butter. The content explains that it has 93% peanut in it, however I could not find a "may contain traces of peanut" warning either.
                    I think the problem here was that the bag of peanuts was labelled as "Monkey Nuts" and nowhere on the bag did it say the word "Peanuts". Some people can eat nuts but not peanuts and the law requires that a product containing peanuts specifically states on the packaging that this contains "Peanuts" and not one of many other words used to describe them. For example it would be illegal to label and sell a packet of peanuts as "dry roasted nuts" without specifically mentioning that the type of nut is a "peanut".

There are lots of words like this which are protected under law. "Anchor Spreadable" looks just like "Anchor Butter" but nowhere on the package do they call it "butter" because it doesn't meet the legally defined description of butter (80% butter fat).

Nutty story though and it will probably go down in urban legend.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X