• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Standard or First Class Travel to client site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NDawg View Post
    Yeah you're right. Getting hold of one nowadays is damn near impossible. They're only issued to anyone that was railway before 1996 (classed as what is known as "safeguarded" status) that reached a certain grade (old BR days). They're eligible for gold, blue or silver status passes (of which first class travel is included). Usually safeguarded staff are a bit more level-headed because they're entitled to a pass that is no longer issued, so if they lose it, there's a chance they won't get it back.

PRIV staff though, different matter. PRIV holders are non-safeguarded rail staff that joined after 1996. Those that lose PRIVs at a rail company usually jump to another rail company and are re-issued one. They're easier to come by, but they don't entitle holders to first class or any of the cool perks that gold come with (such as free travel).

Still though, I held PRIV but would constantly ride in first class. Ticket inspectors never kicked up a fuss but I always knew to move the **** out of the way if a ticket holder needed a seat because that PRIV pass saved me at least a couple thousand for the time I had it and I damn sure didn't want to lose it because of a passenger.
    He seemed to see reason, but I didn't even know they existed to be honest. Quite shocked me when he said no.

Pissed with the guard though, and I did report this to GWR, although have heard nothing back... Still, at least I now know I can kick up a fuss about it

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
      Well I have stumped up the extra 100 notes to go 1st class this week to give it a try.
      One coffee and a copy of the Guardian in the 1st Class lounge then onto the train at 8 am, The comfort is miles ahead of the standard seats with plenty of space. Another coffee, bacon roll, a tea, 2 rounds of toast, an orange juice and some fruit made for a very pleasant journey. WIFI is fast and a nice to have. Am on the 6.15 pm train back which means a hot meal (and a couple of drinks!) should be in the offing
      I was with you right up until the mention of the Guardian...are you sure you're cut out for this contracting m'larky?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        I was with you right up until the mention of the Guardian...are you sure you're cut out for this contracting m'larky?
        Hahaha, it was the Guardian or the FT!

Comment

Only on very long trips is it worthwhile imo. You also usually have to be accosted by a fat sweating git in a suit opposite who cant seem to sit without his legs at 180 degrees.

Too much money for too little advantage , unless you travel in the peak of rush hour.

Comment

I don't think I'd take a gig that required a non-trivial train commute unless the rate made 1st-class travel possible.

Some of them have really crap 1st-class though... pre-packaged sandwiches and coffee in paper cups is NOT 1st-class fodder.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

FGW standard class monthly travel card is exactly half price of the first class, from swindon to London. Standard class monthly is £805. I just cannot justify paying £1600 for the first class..
              I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Working...
              X