• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shell vs Super market petrol !!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    I'm not a tester but a bit anal about recording stuff - maybe I should become one.

Old car got better petrol consumption wise over the 75K miles and 8 years I had it - started at 37 MPG and ended at about 43 MPG - averaged 42 MPG over the 75K miles. Small petrol engined warm (ish) buzzbox.

Current similar car has only done 4.5K but started at 41 MPG, dipped to 37 MPG over the winter and is now doing about 41 MPG again.

So, in answer to the OP, cold weather may well account for some of those 80 extra miles.
    School holidays help as well and we've just had easter - less traffic so fewer holdups.
    And the heart attack induced by paying for a visit to the petrol pump may have resulted in more economical driving!

HTH
    Cold air or cold damp air gives a better performance and improves economy. With Diesel you need hot fuel, cold damp air. Think about it.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Cold air or cold damp air gives a better performance and improves economy. With Diesel you need hot fuel, cold damp air. Think about it.
      No it does not - or at least as part of the whole car driving package.

I have 10+ years of fuel economy records showing winter is worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
        No it does not - or at least as part of the whole car driving package.

I have 10+ years of fuel economy records showing winter is worse.
        What I said is basic physics of how engines perform. Cold damp air compresses more than warm air. On hot days, engine performance decreases. It is best tested on a long straight road without traffic.

In winter you are getting less MPG because of other factors, you are probably changing gear more, using the car on short journeys instead of walking.
        Last edited by Paddy; 24 April 2013, 06:53.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Nope. It's because the fuel vaporises in summer leading to less mpg
          I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Would one of these gizmos help track fuel effeciency?

OBDII Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Cable - Black + Blue + Orange (DC 12V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Along with a copy of Torque or something similar on your phone/Ipad/laptop.

Comment

Shell vs Super market petrol !!

Originally posted by Normie View Post
              Would one of these gizmos help track fuel effeciency?

OBDII Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Cable - Black + Blue + Orange (DC 12V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Along with a copy of Torque or something similar on your phone/Ipad/laptop.
              You can get wifi connections now!

Comment

In winter you are getting less MPG because of other factors, you are probably changing gear more, using the car on short journeys instead of walking.
                Plus using the heating more, lights, heated rear windscreen, heated seats? All that requires more power = running the engine at slightly higher revs = less MPG.
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                  Plus using the heating more, lights, heated rear windscreen, heated seats? All that requires more power = running the engine at slightly higher revs = less MPG.
                  That’s why manufactures disconnect the alternator when they do the MPG figures

Comment

That’s why manufactures disconnect the alternator when they do the MPG figures
                    I thought we were going 24volt systems on cars so things like power steering & AC pumps could be run off battery rather than driven off the engines
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

What I said is basic physics of how engines perform. Cold damp air compresses more than warm air. On hot days, engine performance decreases. It is best tested on a long straight road without traffic.
                      Why would the amount it compresses make a difference?

Cool air is denser - i.e. has more oxygen molecules. All modern cars have sensors to detect the air pressure or temperature going into the engine and can squirt in more fuel to keep the ratio the same. More fuel + more air = more power. Whether that produces better MPG too I'm not sure.

The real question is why does a 2 litre car use more fuel trundling along slowly than a 1 litre car? If they could just solve that, then we could all have twin-turbo 5 litre V8s and still get 60mpg on a trip to the shops.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X