• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tales from a grumpy imigrant part 2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Oh dear, this could get expensive.
    Surely they only apply to cars on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Since when did 1997 become "vintage" for cars?
      It is here in the increasingly weird Hollandland. Company cars are taxed by a surcharge of 25% of the new price on top of your salary or any profits you pay yourself, which get pretty expensive if you drive anything more luxurious than a Kia Anorexia. 15 year old cars (or older) are deemed to be vintage cars and have a surcharge of 35% of the day value; sounds like more, but it isn't because the cars don't cost much. A chap up the road is doing a roaring cash trade in restored 90's Daimlers kitted out with LPG installations and I´m not entirely sure that his sales receipts are 100% accurate. Most of his customers are self employed. I'm tempted.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Since when did 1997 become "vintage" for cars?
        When you is an Asian geezer 'innit?

Respect!

Comment

Its Suity, of course he has crayons, what do you think he is writing his white paper with
          But surely crayons would make it a colourful paper?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Headlamp converters?
            Many BMWs have a mechanism to convert the throw, so no stickers or tape is necessary.

Though they might not have been fitted on those bottom-end rep-mobiles

Comment

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
              Many BMWs have a mechanism to convert the throw, so no stickers or tape is necessary.

Though they might not have been fitted on those bottom-end rep-mobiles
              Oi! I had a 318i for a while and I liked it. But then I went contracting and bought a proper car.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                This I did do. Cost me an extra £100 for the 3 months. And I even put one of those GB stickers on the back of my car when I first got to France.
                For France you also need to have a breathalyser kit in your car, honest! Lucklily for Bielefeld you don't need a Feinstaubplakette but you might for other towns, check - http://gis.uba.de/website/umweltzonen/index.htm
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  For France you also need to have a breathalyser kit in your car, honest! Lucklily for Bielefeld you don't need a Feinstaubplakette but you might for other towns, check - http://gis.uba.de/website/umweltzonen/index.htm
                  English link for Suity;

http://gis.uba.de/website/umweltzonen_en/index.htm

Comment

Garage called. Cyclinder head gasket is badly blown.

Head is being removed to reveal the full extent of the damage.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                      Oh Crap

I did this to a Vauxhall Cavalier once upon a time. You have probably ruined the engine, blown the head gasket and warped the head if you have overheated it the way that you have described.

Despite being a virtually bomb proof engine, my poor little Cav was never the same afterwards..

Good luck
                      Did the same with my Granada.

I didn't want to leave it where the radiator sprung a leak but the thing would have been nicked if I had left it where it was.

And to get it back home there was a steep hill.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X