• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tales from a grumpy imigrant part 2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    A chap up the road is doing a roaring cash trade in restored 90's Daimlers kitted out with LPG installations and I´m not entirely sure that his sales receipts are 100% accurate. Most of his customers are self employed. I'm tempted.
    Is LPG in Holland still as cheap versus petrol as it was in the early 80s?

I had LPG on my Beemer there. It came into its own for trips back to the UK - with both tanks full I could make it home without refuelling.

Also I could only claim for petrol for receipts collected in NL, so it gave me a nice range on paid-for fuel.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      Is LPG in Holland still as cheap versus petrol as it was in the early 80s?

I had LPG on my Beemer there. It came into its own for trips back to the UK - with both tanks full I could make it home without refuelling.

Also I could only claim for petrol for receipts collected in NL, so it gave me a nice range on paid-for fuel.
      I have LPG on my Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sports Luxury - from, Morries it's 69p a litre....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        I have LPG on my Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sports Luxury - from, Morries it's 69p a litre....
        whats the mpg?
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          whats the mpg?
          On motorway 32mpg, round town not great of course! About 18mpg - not bad tho. Think average is about 24mpg according to computer last time I checked.

Still, half price fuel and it goes like stink!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            That's a change. Back in the early 80s the only places I could find LPG were motorway services or my local Jag dealer, and both were more expensive than the cut price petrol places in West Yorkshire. I didn't see the point at those prices so just stuck to petrol while in the UK. Except of course for the trip back to Holland.

I felt sorry for the taxi drivers who had had a conversion - what was the point when the stuff was more expensive than petrol?
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Tales from a grumpy imigrant part 2

Here she is, the silver one not SAS's red so-called'GT86' behind.....

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Garage called. Cyclinder head gasket is badly blown.

Head is being removed to reveal the full extent of the damage.
                Bummer, hope its not too costly.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Head is being removed to reveal the full extent of the damage.
                  I'm surprised. Normally they take an arm or leg. Or both.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

its a dead cert they will say that the value of the car, the strict road laws in Germany and therefore the supremely high bill that will come with getting that "dated" car up to scratch will mean that it's going to be scrapped.

Seriously Suity, save yourself some money, stop all further repair costs and either:

- look for a decent quality second hand motor in Germany if you think you're going to be there a while
                    - relocate to somewhere near client co. to save having to commute, thus no car required
                    - call up a car hire company and start negotiating a long term car rental that equals contract length
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                      its a dead cert they will say that the value of the car, the strict road laws in Germany and therefore the supremely high bill that will come with getting that "dated" car up to scratch will mean that it's going to be scrapped.

Seriously Suity, save yourself some money, stop all further repair costs and either:

- look for a decent quality second hand motor in Germany if you think you're going to be there a while
                      - relocate to somewhere near client co. to save having to commute, thus no car required
                      - call up a car hire company and start negotiating a long term car rental that equals contract length
                      WHS++

Comment

Working...
                      X