• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slaves

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slaves

I was recently offered a senior role with a big consultancy (who also sell International Business Machines incidently). We stuck on one clause - they have a policy of a 7 day non-reciprocal termination period. There was no provision for the contractor to terminate. At all.

I can't beleive that all of their contractors (and there must be hundreds in the UK) would sign under such circumstances. Or is there a standard way to get out of these contracts?

is there a standard way to get out of these contracts?
    Stop turning up for work.

Comment

This seems to be a growing trend.

I've had contracts where I had no right to terminate, but that's becuase I knew the company well and had no intention of leaving early.

Beware what you sign.

Comment

I can't beleive that all of their contractors (and there must be hundreds in the UK) would sign under such circumstances. Or is there a standard way to get out of these contracts?
        Why not? You are supposed to be a business delivering a service, not a permie employee.

Comment

Only go for it if the day rate is excellent. I used to work with Big Blue and gained excellent exposure. Will not do your CV any harm

Comment

How long is the contract for? If 3 or 6 months, I would have no problem with a clause like that. Although I would prefer it if they could terminate without notice.

Comment

<<I was recently offered a senior role with a big consultancy (who also sell International Business Machines incidentally).>>

If this is with Computer People you will find that this is a Computer People clause not and big blue clause. They have also included a £500 administration charge if you leave the contract early. These conditions are not enforceable but to be on the safe side do not sign under those conditions.

Comment

Dodgy - I'm not sure I get your point. I'm a business providing a service, true. Why should I be under obligation to provide the service for a fixed period of time, while the client can terminate the service at a weeks notice?

Comment

They have also included a £500 administration charge if you leave the contract early.
                  I'm sure Parity have a similar contractual clause.

Comment

I have worked for them twice with this clause included.
                    The first contract was a mistake, they wanted a desktop expert but got a developer. They kept telling me 'just stick with it - it will be ok. I spent three months rebuilding all their admin tools then asked if I could go. They agreed.

I would risk it.

:rolleyes

Comment

Working...
                    X