• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Industrial investment in 1979 wouldn't have worked.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    The Thatcher government did so some things to try create jobs in depressed areas, they were just a bit half baked and as much to do with massaging the unemployment statistics. I'm thinking for example of Employment Training schemes, where you had training while still signing on (although no officially being unemployed). They were a good idea but unfortunately the qualifications were often useless in attaining paid work. Could have been good though.
    My first proper post-university job I started on employment training. It was all a bit dodgy: I was supposed to be doing some kind of college course, and I had to pretend I lived at my Dad's house because my Mum's was in the wrong county. But after a month they offered me a proper position with a proper salary (£12K IIRC, but that was the going rate in 1992).

Easy to malign the likes of the YTS, and there's obviously companies that abuse it, but I'd bet it does help the majority.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Hence "Rover Way" in Cardiff.
      Or Fookwit Close in Kent where Troll lives.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        Or Fookwit Close in Kent where Troll lives.

Who do we know that lives at No. 1 Cretin crescent?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          Who do we know that lives at No. 1 Cretin crescent?
          sasguru?
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Yeah, then we're just going to have 100s of "cyclists are *****" threads.
            That goes without saying but at least you could admire them for wanting the jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              sasguru?
              SW18

It could be
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Lots of demand in Eyeran.

Does he know owt about UF6?
                The <insert Western govt of choice> probably supplied 'em with all they need.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

YTS made me the rich man I am now.

remember the 'spanish practices' in some organisations I worked with in the mid eighties.

Surprised so many survived.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Hence "Rover Way" in Cardiff.

Rover weren't allowed to build a gearbox factory in Brum, it had to be in a regional development area.
                    I remember seeing the body shells for those large Daimlers that Lord Mayors used to have being shipped up to Scotland to meet the engines and drive train. That always struck me as being the wrong way around.

I also recall seeing truck chassis on the motorway being driven to wherever they got a body.

I didn't envy the drivers, for they had zero protection from the elements.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X