• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My dad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    My dad was a shop steward.
    My father was an I.T. Contractor. He made millions. I've never had to work in my life.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      ZeitPater worked in
      • A sweetshop. Long gone.
      • A radio and television emporium, with Stan the Pole who was an engineer. Long gone.
      • A radio and Tv emporium (bigger) without Stan the Pole. Shop steward for a while & the first out the door as a result. Long gone.
      • Duport Steel as a demurrage clerk counting railway wagons. Came as quite a shock after 30 years in retail. Long gone. The M4 bridge over the river Neath is the shape it is because they designed it to avoid the steelworks.
      • Metal Box. Security officer. The bit where he worked is gone (The Eagle), but a little bit of Metal Box remains, taken over & fecked up by the French.
      And he would have eaten you after you hatched if you hadn't scarpered up that tree. Which is also long gone to make way for the M4 bridge. Probably.

Comment

My dad wasn't political until the seventies, when the union was fecking up his industry, and his taxes went up. He sort of eased a bit to the right after that and never veered back.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
          My father was an I.T. Contractor. He made millions. I've never had to work in my life.
          Son!

Comment

My dad worked all his life in the diplomatic service so we traveled around a fair amount. Naturally he was too diplomatic to express any political preference, but was a raging Tory like all his colleagues.
            England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

I never met my dad but I think he's taking a cut out of everything in that great data centre in the sky
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Son of a toolmaker, mad about motorbikes and cars, signed up for the army as a boy soldier in 39, desperate to get into Tank Regiment. Eventually managed it when Duke of Westminster who had his own regiment, pulled strings for him. Drove a tank post D day. After the war stayed in, did tank development work, left army in 48, did mechanic on the speedway in his spare time, married my Mum, became a bus driver in London then a long distance lorry driver, ending as a tanker driver for Guiness. A variety of rubbish jobs being strung along by people then got a job as a rep for an oil company, covered the whole of Greater London and did well due to the oil boom. Retired at 65, got offered loads of jobs but went to work in a main Renault agent owned by an old army friend, did restoration of classic cars for a bit until the bottom fell out of it, stayed on doing MOTs and advising when old cars came in that they didnt know what to do with. Still there at 89 though friend has died, drives to work every day. Voted Tory all his life, a brilliant Dad, patience of a saint, loves animals and feeds all the stray cats in the area.

Comment

Old man worked in a factory all his working life. I was brought up on dog rough council estate by single Dad and went to tulipey comprehensive school.

Grandfather worked down the mine (eventually led to his early death).

South Wales valleys area so politically VERY labour orientated. Often said that they'd vote a 3 legged donkey as an MP if it was under the labour banner. Sort of place where Conservative candidates regularly lose their deposit. Generally not seen knocking doors either for safety reasons.

Funnily though, as I get older my views are tending towards right wing..... Seen all sorts with my upbringing but appreciate that with a bit of effort and an education you don't have to sponge benefits all the time and you can make a success of things.

Try not to get into political arguments with the old man these days!
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Funnily though, as I get older my views are tending towards right wing..... Seen all sorts with my upbringing but appreciate that with a bit of effort and an education you don't have to sponge benefits all the time and you can make a success of things.
                    I'm not sure benefits sponges and labour voters correlate that closely. Many key groups of traditional Labour supporters - factory workers, miners, etc - are the groups who historically have the strongest work ethic and determination to provide for their families. I bet that loads of benefits spongers are too apathetic even to vote for a government who will support their apathy!
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      I'm not sure benefits sponges and labour voters correlate that closely. Many key groups of traditional Labour supporters - factory workers, miners, etc - are the groups who historically have the strongest work ethic and determination to provide for their families. I bet that loads of benefits spongers are too apathetic even to vote for a government who will support their apathy!
                      Agreed. Didnt mean to link labour with benefit scroungers....

BUT, I will say that the poorer areas which are traditionally labour strongholds do have a lot of benefit scroungers..... Its a fact.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X