• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ding Dong we lost a great stateswomen - Margaret Thatcher has died

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    More half baked clap trap. Many working class people owned their own homes prior to thatcher. In the 1960s over 40% owned their own home. Just before she came to power it was around 50%. By the time she left it was around 60% mainly acheived through selling council houses. The shortsightedness of that scheme has led to the crippling cost of the housing benefit bill.

many working class people did not own their own homes. Many working class rented. Many middle class owned their own home. Large houses were being hoovered up for private landlords.

how else was she supposed to break council house tenure? Once you were in they couldn't get you or your children's children out? A council house was for your dynasty.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      You mean like:

"It was labours job to run the financial markets effectively once Thatcher had freed them from the control of the state."

You couldn't make it up. Honestly.
      feck me you've ruined my day, chuckling at your absolute nitwittism, to coin a phrase.
      it's not as good as this..

"The outcome of Thatcherism was to make the UK one of the top six economies of the world"

Without mentioning we were top 5 before her.

Comment

Some of us can see beyond ourselves to see the bigger picture. It's called I am alright Jack, I just want poor people to know that although I may be rich I am on their side, you wouldn't know anything about that.
        HTH, BIKIW
        FTFY
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
          it's not as good as this..

"The outcome of Thatcherism was to make the UK one of the top six economies of the world"

Without mentioning we were top 5 before her.

Poor Dodgy. That's why he's an agent. Logic and numeracy aren't his strong points.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

You mean like:

"It was labours job to run the financial markets effectively once Thatcher had freed them from the control of the state."

You couldn't make it up. Honestly.
            feck me you've ruined my day, chuckling at your absolute nitwittism, to coin a phrase.
            So if it is not the governments job to supervise the markets against abuse then who's job is it? Or do we simply revert back to the government running the banking system and the major industries?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              many working class people did not own their own homes. Many working class rented. Many middle class owned their own home. Large houses were being hoovered up for private landlords.

how else was she supposed to break council house tenure? Once you were in they couldn't get you or your children's children out? A council house was for your dynasty.
              Growing up in the 70s and 80s the majority of my family and freinds owned their own homes, they were mainly working class (as it was then). This was common. You have to go back to pre second world war to match the depiction you are describing.

1976 55% were owner occupied by 1992 it was still under 60%. In that <5% you place the "many working class".

Last edited by ZARDOZ; 8 April 2013, 14:21.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

How true...

also - when we all speak of that great sense of community - is that the one where domestic violence was covered up, is that the one where child abuse was swept under the carpet, is that the one where 'estate's' were 'owned' by the local heavies and people were scared to go out.

the scattering of the chavs caused by the removal of council house dynasties probably saved thousands of lives and empowered thousands more.

interestingly enough we are all concentrating on what Thacther left us - what sh*te did she pick up when she went into power?

I recall the 3 day weeks and power cuts whilst the pink panther was on - that did not happen under thatcher!

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  Spoken like Bono
                  Do you mean the famous Irish tax dodger or the dog food?
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Some useless ignorant pish, as usual
                    It's entirely in my interest as a well-off member of society to want to make sure that society as a whole is economically sound.
                    I don't want to live in a gated community with armed security guards like parts of the US or SA.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

So if it is not the governments job to supervise the markets against abuse then who's job is it? Or do we simply revert back to the government running the banking system and the major industries?
                      If it's "governments job to supervise the markets" as you state, why didn't Thatcher do it, rather than removing all controls as she did in the Big Bang in 1986? Or are you claiming Thatcher supervised the markets better but Labour dismantled some of her great supervision?

Pleas stop, miy sides are beginning to hurt now ....
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X