• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remember the Sinclair Microdrive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sinclair also produced a 3" FDD. I had one in my CPC6128. I was chuffed to bits with it at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
      Sinclair also produced a 3" FDD. I had one in my CPC6128. I was chuffed to bits with it at the time.
      <cough>Amstrad</cough>

Just saying, like...

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
        <cough>Amstrad</cough>

Just saying, like...
        Yeh, it did have that feel come to think of it.

Comment

Yeh, it did have that feel come to think of it.
          Sinclair was bought out by Amstrad.

Kids, eh?

Tatung used the same size disks.

Ocean used the "Tatung Einstein" as their development machines.

Comment

...in fact, it WAS an Amstrad. Was the Spectrum+ also an Amstrad?

Comment

That avatar is REALLY horrible suity.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                That avatar is REALLY horrible suity.
                Better now?
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

...in fact, it WAS an Amstrad. Was the Spectrum+ also an Amstrad?
                  Yes, that came after Amstrad had bought Sir Clive out.

I remember the Microdrive being announced. Guy Kewney in PCW called it out straight away as being a tape drive at a time when many thought it would be a disk. His logic: if it was a disk, Sinclair would have called it that, as a new disk drive would be much more marketable than a tape drive. Time passed...

...and it was finally released, and it was indeed a tape drive. This sort of thing was why PCW was such essential reading in those halcyon days

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Sinclair was a bit of a c*^1 . He used to by job lots of reject components so often his kit would fail.
                    He wasn't alone. When I took my faulty new Commodore 64 back to the retailer, they commented that, while all other microcomputers went back for repair, Commodore had asked them to hold extra stock and simply replace faulty units without question. Or as they said, Commodore saved money by having the customers do the quality control.
                    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Working...
                    X