• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much of Dobbin would you be prepared to eat unknowingly?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm taking this back
    Why?

I just found a bit of horse sh1te in it

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Yes you're right about the slight contamination where several species are slaughtered, but this whole practice of asking consumers how much horsemeat they'll tolerate is just obfuscation.I am a tester, but I'm not an idiot. I understand that if a slaughterhouse kills horses, there might be a few cells of equine material in my beef, but that's not what I would complain about. What I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of is being lied to about my food. We've had the BSE and vCJD scandals, engine oil in chicken feed, the foot in mouth cock-up, the salmonella scares, antibiotic resistance problems and still the heavily subsidised mass food industry, along with the expensive taxpayer funded inspection agencies, are unable to get their ******* act together. Given my income I can fortunately choose to buy food from suppliers I trust, but many, many people cannot afford to make that choice and they are being ripped off and lied to.

If you kill some horses, then you kill some cows, then in between you apply some basic professional standards and clean the machinery and equipment using the miracle of clean brushes, cloths and detergents; then I'm happy, but selling bolognaise sauce without telling people it's got a big chunk of horse in it, then asking the public to tell you precisely what concentration of horsemeat contamination should be allowed is the obfuscation and deceit, and it's the practise of criminal scum.
      Couldn't agree more. Also, don't get me started on food additives. For instance, there are 3 varieties of brown colouring that are added to everything from gravy to bread and whisky, sometimes misleadingly labelled as "caramel". Some forms of the additive E150 are produced with ammonia and sulphates and potentially carcinogenic. Other forms are perfectly safe. But you wouldn't know because the marketers do their best to hide it from us.

Fortunately the availability of information on the internet means I don't end up mistakenly feeding this crap to my 4 year old in her gravy.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Bought some sausages for the barbie when I was working in Oz a couple of years back.

Label said, "Ingredients: Meat"

A fairly safe catch all that could be put to good use here.
        Don't feed the dolls......

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          I'm taking this back
          Why?

I just found a bit of horse sh1te in it

You have seen the IKEA menu then......

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            the foot in mouth cock-up
            I'd avoid using those words in the same sentence, given the ambiguity of meat products the last thing we need is people getting their words mixed up too. Either you'll get half of the internet search traffic landing on this page or someone being pedantic telling you that sentence isn't grammatically correct.

Personally in answer to the thread question - if I was really hungry I'd eat a whole horse. 100%. I've had horse steak in France once, very nice, just like beef. Then again, maybe our French hosts might have been lying to us just to impress us as it was beef. LOL. Was cut about 2" thick and about the size of a dinner plate. and reminded me of a Flintstones bronto-steak. Burned on the outside and bloody inside. Mmmmmn.

What I don't want is to be sold something which it isn't. If Findus want to sell me Horse Lasagne - that's fine. Just stick it on the label. What this whole things has made me realise - I'm glad I buy my food raw and make my own stuff. Processed food is just asking for it too much. I can get a brace of pheasant for the same price as a Fray Bentos pie. Hmmmn which would I prefer? Depends on how much ale I've had before I start to cook.
            Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Working...
            X