• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed 900,000

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Why is it that the government seem to think there is an 'IT Skills Shortage' where as on here we seem to think the opposite?

Is it because what they actually mean is there is an "IT skills shortage of people willing to work for £20k PA and as all my CEO chums do not want to pay £40k pa to their staff as they think IT is 'easy' and nothing more than 'admin work'"

bit confused and just askin!
    If you have to pay £400/day to get good people, there is a shortage.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      is there?

A Locum GP is minimum £70 an hour.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

thing is if you assume a household where only 1 person works 40k PA is actually only just break even...

and I do not think anyone goes to uni, spends time, money and effort keeping skills up to date etc - just to earn a living wage with no luxuries

so there is no shortage there is a lack of understanding (or a lack of wanting to understand) what it takes to ensure that as an IT professional you are up to speed with all current technologies.

the average CIMA qualified accountant with say 5 years experience will set you back at least 40k I do not see anyone complaining about a shortage of bean counters anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          is there?

A Locum GP is minimum £70 an hour.
          a)Public sector doesn't follow normal supply & demand as it's not a free market
          b)When you have to train for nearly a decade, there's a barrier to entry.

Comment

thing is if you assume a household where only 1 person works 40k PA is actually only just break even...

and I do not think anyone goes to uni, spends time, money and effort keeping skills up to date etc - just to earn a living wage with no luxuries

so there is no shortage there is a lack of understanding (or a lack of wanting to understand) what it takes to ensure that as an IT professional you are up to speed with all current technologies.

the average CIMA qualified accountant with say 5 years experience will set you back at least 40k I do not see anyone complaining about a shortage of bean counters anywhere
            Why are you comparing £40k with £400/day? £40k isn't a particularly high salary, £400/day is a lot of money.

Comment

Why are you comparing £40k with £400/day? £40k isn't a particularly high salary, £400/day is a lot of money.
              Public holidays, holidays, bench time, better get some training too (fees + time off), provide for own pension, accountant fees, NICs, factor in a risk premium too, and I don't believe that they are poles apart.
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

You're the one who started discussing £400 a day. I merely pointed out that for some markets its below the market rate.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

true but if you assume 220 billable days per year this comes to 88k - but as we know two things to consider

1) Overheads of running a company etc
                  2) you will not always be earning 400 per day

so you will not be on a salary of 88k but in some years your company may bill for 88k

also as you 400 per day skill becomes less niche/obsolete then you need to re-train or get left behind - which is not the same as for many other professions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                    Public holidays, holidays, bench time, better get some training too (fees + time off), provide for own pension, accountant fees, NICs, factor in a risk premium too, and I don't believe that they are poles apart.
                    Yes I know that's the line we spin to permie friends lest they get jealous, but it's not accurate in reality. On £400/day you gross £40k in just 20 weeks. If you're working <50% of the year on average, you're crap. And of course we're more tax efficient up to £42k than permies anyway.

Comment

true but if you assume 220 billable days per year this comes to 88k - but as we know two things to consider

1) Overheads of running a company etc
                      About £1500 a year. How much NI are you NOT paying as a director?
                      2) you will not always be earning 400 per day
                      See previous post. Even at 50-60% off the bench you're raking it in.

Comment

Working...
                      X