• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do companies in this country not give a tulipe about service?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Don't think this applies to car hire firms but certainly utility companies, banks etc don't give a stuff about customer service because for every disgruntled punter they lose they'll pick up another new customer hacked off with the service of one of their competitors.

They even have a sales/marketing term for this, can't remember what it is though.
    I think the term you are looking for is customer churn.

One reason for the request to bring the car back is that it could be done without any paperwork. And if you have ever bought screen washer fluid direct from a manufacturer or wholesaler you will realise how ridiculously expensive the stuff in garages or supermarkets is.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Just a small thing but it just shows the general attitude to customer service here in the UK.

Picked up hire car yesterday from enterprise (long story involving AA, trains to brum, taxis etc). Driving along today - no washer fluid. Nice one. Thing in car saying it had been checked - obviously not.

So phoned depot. To say the person did not give a stuff was an understatement. All they said was 'bring it back'. Did try to explain I was a bit busy for that and since it was their fault can they send someone around? (Its 15 mins drive away). Umm, no.

Pointed out that if I brought the car back with no fuel in, they'd charge me £stupid/litre because they've got the hassle to fill it up again. But if they screw up they expect me to run around to get it sorted.

Even offered to buy some washer fluid from garage and they re-imburse me. No - bring it back.
      You asked them to drive out to you with some screenwash? It costs like a quid.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        Don't think this applies to car hire firms but certainly utility companies, banks etc don't give a stuff about customer service because for every disgruntled punter they lose they'll pick up another new customer hacked off with the service of one of their competitors.

They even have a sales/marketing term for this, can't remember what it is though.
        Not true. I've worked at two and both had had customer retention as their main business focus. The number of consumers isn't going up, so the only way to increase revenue is to gain market share. Sloppy customer service won't get you that. They also know that acquiring a new customer is a lot harder than losing one.
        Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          We're infected with middle managers convinced that doing a half arsed bodge job is quicker and cheaper than doing it right.
          The problem is that companies are run by accountants, which means that the country is run by accountants.

Supposing an accountant is brought in to make the operations of a company more efficient. How is "efficiency" defined in his terms? Well, let's say he sees zero customer complaints, no worker grumbling, everybody doing a fine job and no problems at all really. He is going to reason: "That's very inefficient. Suppose we let things get a bit sloppy, suppose we accept a 10% customer complaint rate, 30% churn due to worker burnout, etc., etc. I bet we could save a ton of money. Accept 20% complaints, and we could halve our costs. More money for the bonuses of my bosses."

In effect, quality is seen as the enemy. There is an active motivation to reduce quality. That is why the country is going to the dogs.
          Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
            Why didn't you check the screenwash when you collected the car?

You signed for a vehicle that wasn't roadworthy.

Hth but carry on with your rant.
            Precisely and I bet he didn't check the tyres or battery either. Bear in mind it's your responsibility if you accepted it.

Comment

Washers knackered it turns out. Looks like someone didnt check them.

Replacement car on its way to me....
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                churn?
                Milk

This is the word game, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
                  Milk

This is the word game, right?
                  Butter.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    Butter.
                    Paris
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Whenever I walk into M&S I realise what crap service is. No one to ask where the gloves are..and where have men's shoes moved to this week. The staff are far to busy complaining about something or other to their colleague. I'm usually told something like "oh try over there love".

I'm used having a free phone number to ring for customer queries...here in the UK we have 0870 at 7p/min. So the company is making money from me complaining to them! Heck if I was in their shoes I'd f**k up everything and wait for the calls to come in. Make everyone wait in the queue 10 minutes then take 10 minutes to listen to their complaints and then fob them off. Cha-ching!

I can't even take my telephone provider to the Obudsman anymore because they are refusing to pay the subscription fees to the Ombudsman Service. Okay, so basically that is a licence to screw customers with zero consequences. Complain to Ofcom, I'm told to complain to customer services again, or take it to the Ombudsman. Good grief.

Its no wonder Brits have become sheep. The system screws you around til to you just get plain fed up and either move or die.
                      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                      X