• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am an atheist.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
    If I was to say "I believe in Jesus Christ" (which I do), does that make me a Christian?
    I believe on the balance of probabilities that some charismatic figure who we call Christ existed in the Middle East about 2000 years ago, but I'm no "Christian".
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      I believe on the balance of probabilities that some charismatic figure who we call Christ existed in the Middle East about 2000 years ago, but I'm no "Christian".
      Exactly.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

What are you called if you believe in all the religions?
        And all myths, and Tooth Fairy and Santa and Easter Bunny who lays eggs.

That sounds like more fun and more religious holidays. What's not to like?

Or is that too much hedging?
        "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          If you want to know the proof that consistency cannot be proved, which is a diagonalisation proof, if my memory serves, google "Gödel consistency mathematics". It's something to do with that if you could prove that arithmetic was consistent, it would lead to an inconsistency. Same as the halting problem in computer science. It's a long time since I did my degree, so I'm very hazy on the details.
          IIRC Godel proved that a consistent system sufficient to do arithmetic cannot be used to prove certain things that are true (it's incomplete), including it's own consistency.

Essentially you have a statement along the lines of

'The statement "this statement cannot be proven" cannot be proven'.

Which is true but you can't prove it without creating a contradiction.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            It depends on your definition of 'in'. I believe in CUK in the sense it exists. I believe Mohammed existed, etc.

My definition would be someone who believes Jesus was[/is] the son of God who offers salvation to those who accept this to be true, though there is no definitive answer... some say anyone who claims to be a Christian is one, others make pretty specific doctrinal demands, others demand baptimism or whatever.

But ultimately I'd say if you believe what Jesus said about himself, that's a pretty big indicator!
            Agreed. "I am the way, the truth, the light...." etc., its the following sentence that I like.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
              What are you called if you believe in all the religions?
              And all myths, and Tooth Fairy and Santa and Easter Bunny who lays eggs.

That sounds like more fun and more religious holidays. What's not to like?

Or is that too much hedging?
              Flippant?

Comment

If I was to say "I believe in Jesus Christ" (which I do), does that make me a Christian?
                put it this way - if you said you believe in father christmas and the tooth fairy everyone would think you are nuts...

so believeing in another fictional character will probably have the same result

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  put it this way - if you said you believe in father christmas and the tooth fairy everyone would think you are nuts...

so believeing in another fictional character will probably have the same result

Back to square one
                  KUATB

Comment

Back to square one
                    KUATB
                    yeah sorry did not read some of the other posts!

but you know

Comment

This should keep Christians shaking their heads and atheists nodding in agreement:

It is easy to prove to yourself that God is imaginary. The evidence is all around you. Here are 50 simple proofs:
                      God is Imaginary - 50 simple proofs

Comment

Working...
                      X