• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am an atheist.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's pretty clear that things are different in Heaven; a new body and the fact that marriage relationships are no longer meaningful are just two others.

The bible is very clear that when you will die you will realise that God's logic is perfect and only true justice is possible. So the fact you'd realise your daughter deserves her lot is answered - in the same way that if your daughter killed someone you might agree with the judge's sentence as being appropriate.

However the part about not being sad about it even if you realise it is totally justified, that is the one good question I've seen you ask on the subject. You might agree your daughter should go to prison in the above example, but that wouldn't mean you weren't upset by it. Your emotional response to things is not tethered to what you logically know to be right.

I shall think about that further.
    How can it be justified that she is punished for not believing something that is designed to be without proof? If her life experience has lead her to be very skeptical due to events that have happened then that is not her fault. She cannot choose to believe something because she would like to - she can hope something is true but that would not be true belief.

Also, this is probably just semantics but it would not be that she was in prison - it would be that she was being horribly tortured forever for something that is not really her fault (in this example).
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

It's pretty clear that things are different in Heaven; a new body and the fact that marriage relationships are no longer meaningful are just two others.
      Is it? First time I've heard this stuff about previous relationships no longer being meaningful. (Btw, what's desirable/heavenly about that?). Just one of the many things on which believers make up whatever "truth" they can most comfortably live with.

The bible is very clear that when you will die you will realise that God's logic is perfect and only true justice is possible. So the fact you'd realise your daughter deserves her lot is answered - in the same way that if your daughter killed someone you might agree with the judge's sentence as being appropriate.
      The bible is "pretty clear" on a lot of stuff (Evil Bible Home Page has a lovely collection of all the not-so-pretty stuff). No doubt Christians tend to find all sorts of ways of interpreting the gruesomeness away.

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
        Is it? First time I've heard this stuff about previous relationships no longer being meaningful. (Btw, what's desirable/heavenly about that?). Just one of the many things on which believers make up whatever "truth" they can most comfortably live with.

Quite. Was going to ask where in the Bible that's mentioned, but then realised what's the point?
        Arrant bollux.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
        X