• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car finance vs depreciation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to buy decent low mileage 3-4 year old cars for cash then run them until I'm bored and fancy something else to drive. When you spread the cost over the car over 5-6 years it's cheap as chips.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Don't you end up paying the depreciation anyway, just spread over the term of the lease + interest?
      Dunno Warren Buffet said it...
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I like the smell of new cars so I buy new.

HTH
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

HTH
          Yep, seems you keep the British Motor Industry alive single handed.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1459755
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1089480
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...next-week.html

Comment

2nd one was to wind you up. Looked like it worked
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

as the last car is a rebadged subaru and the others were other Japanese models I think the most we can hope for is that he kept a UK car dealer going for another day
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                as the last car is a rebadged subaru and the others were other Japanese models I think the most we can hope for is that he kept a UK car dealer going for another day
                I usually buy Japanese (or now Korean), I like good value, reliability and decent comfort.
                I object to paying over the odds for marketing and extras for inferior products.
                Of course people like Dim like stroking their "soft-touch" plastics when their car is in the garage for fixing
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

HTH
                  So not long after you buy one it starts smelling of unadulterated Sas?

It would work out cheaper to use some powerful air freshener, like Ozium

Or liquid leather air freshener
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    So not long after you buy one it starts smelling of unadulterated Sas?
                    Yes it smells of success.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                      If you were to buy a new car in the next month or so would you pay out a lump sum to buy it outright or get a financing deal?

Would you get a loan? Hire purchase? PCP?
                      I used to buy 1-3 years old cars and keep till they got expensive to fix. But after a string of "expensive to fix in their first year of me owning them" cars I decided to lease this time. I know what my costs are for the next 2 years and only add fuel and insurance.

Done a Personal leave (not HP or PCP) as I don't want to pay BIK tax on a car I hardly use. Train is faster and I get to sleep/google.

By my calcs its' cheaper than buying as the depriciation figures are not what you actually get when selling (bend over at the stealers and take £1500 less than Parkers says! or try and sell through autotrader and get £500 less than your best price!) , and don't include the repairs and servicing you add extra on top. Dont forget the lease companies get some good discounts from the manufactures.
                      Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Working...
                      X