• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Realistic rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HarryPearce
    I did for nigh on eight years, yourself? When I started rates were much higher and it made straightforward sense. From the millenium bug period rates fell as did the number of available contracts.
    As of a few months ago raverage ates in London crept past pre-boom highs. And there are no shortage of contracts either.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

In memoriam

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      Milan died in a tragic photocopying accident.

Anyways, what point are you trying to make Mr Pearce?

Stay permie, it's much better, more money and great benefits.

Let the idiots go contracting. Fools.
      Sorry to hear that! No trace left just a copy I presume.

As to the point: this thread has made it itself, contracting can pay but only if you're fortunate to live close enough to a constant supply of work and secondly if you're lucky on the rate 'cos most don't seem to rationalise the rate they need to make it worthwhile. Otherwise, it's a lifestyle decision.

Comment

As to the point: this thread has made it itself, contracting can pay but only if you're fortunate to live close enough to a constant supply of work and secondly if you're lucky on the rate 'cos most don't seem to rationalise the rate they need to make it worthwhile. Otherwise, it's a lifestyle decision.

It also depeands on the line of work you are in. .Net seems to be the current developement Gravy Train. Bog standard hell desk and hardware support is crap, as it is in the permie world. DBA work, especially oracle, seems to be steady, if unexciting. Niche areas, as always, command a premium. Be good at someting not a lot of other people are good at and you reap the benefits.

Personally I'm in security, risk management and governance and the phone hardly stops ringing
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
          It also depeands on the line of work you are in. .Net seems to be the current developement Gravy Train. Bog standard hell desk and hardware support is crap, as it is in the permie world. DBA work, especially oracle, seems to be steady, if unexciting. Niche areas, as always, command a premium. Be good at someting not a lot of other people are good at and you reap the benefits.

Personally I'm in security, risk management and governance and the phone hardly stops ringing
          Seconded DaveB. Theres gold in them thar security mountains...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Agree that being close to a viable market is important (kind of obvious, isn't it?), but don't agree that getting the right rate is a matter of luck. To get the right rate you need to have the right attitude to networking, negotiating and knowing your own worth. That ain't luck.
            Plan A is located just about here.
            If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

it's less a matter of luck and more a matter of supply and demand. If you crack that then your rates will be consistantly high.

DaveB is right.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
              X