• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Feedback from client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unbelievable - what tulip feedback!

I think the problem is you are asking the stakeholders to make decisions they can be held accountable for after the project.

stop it!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

I think the problem is you are asking the stakeholders to make decisions.

stop it!
      FTFY HTH
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        FTFY HTH
        cheers!

Comment

I think the problem is you are asking the stakeholders to make decisions they can be held accountable for after the project.

stop it!
          You might be right there. The other thing I notice at this client is that many people assume that everybody has the same understanding of some domain specific term, and people don't as questions for fear of being considered stupid. The result of that will be obvious; when you start asking further, it turns out that 4 different people have 4 different opinions on what something means, and the devs don't actually know what any of it means but are too scared to ask, and meanwhile everyone in the room assumes everyone else know what he's on about. I guess that by asking questions I'm scaring people as it might expose their own lack of understanding. Or of course proving the old adage; 'never assume, it makes an ass out of u and me'.

I don't always immediately spot these things because personally I feel no shame in asking what some might call a 'stupid question'; I don't feel the need to parade my intelligence or lack of it in front of colleagues (CUK's always there for that), and I think that the best way to stay stupid is to not ask questions.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

I don't always immediately spot these things because personally I feel no shame in asking what some might call a 'stupid question'; I don't feel the need to parade my intelligence or lack of it in front of colleagues (CUK's always there for that), and I think that the best way to stay stupid is to not ask questions.
            Yes definitely an issue.

Just done a BPI for UK team, they had a number of issues that are basically process, some sites had solved the issue other hadn't. Yet at the start the attitude was we are perfect. at the End we had the team agreeing to cross train and track issues. This team has been under one manager for 2 years, scarily I consider him a quite dynamic manager.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

stop it!
              WHS. Permies aren't supposed to do this. You need to get a contractor in to stir up tulip and take the blame.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Doing a consultancy job for permieco's client and I get this feedback;
                - you speak slowly when you discuss complex issues
                - you ask too many difficult questions

Hmmm, I wonder how I should answer;
                - I'm a bit thick so I only speak as quickly as my brain works
                - I'm a tester; I've had years of training in asking questions people don't like to answer

Or maybe I'll just shut up and let them screw things up.
                That was an important speech, sir, and it needed to be made. Might I suggest, however, that the rest of this discourse is continued by those with brains larger than a grape? -- Kryten, Red Dwarf, Rimmerworld (1993)
                Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

- you speak slowly when you discuss complex issues
                  That's because I get paid by the day. Over the course of this project, speaking slowly has earned me an extra £1500.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    That's because I get paid by the day. Over the course of this project, speaking slowly has earned me an extra £1500.
                    Or the simple variant; just listen to me when you pay me per word.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      WTFS!!!
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X