• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More reasons not to buy a Toyota GT86

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    What was he going on about when he said rear-wheel drive is more complicated therefore only available on expensive cars? I know it's Top Gear, and more of a comedy than a car show, but you'd think Jezza might have picked up a thing or two about cars by now.
    Yeah that left me scratching my head, my old Ford Cortina 1.3 was rear wheel drive, all 60 bhp of it.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Like many on here, BoringBloke, you're a blowhard theoretician. If you drove the car you would realise why every motoring journo is raving about it and why owners are very happy with it.
      And like often on here you have proved that you are a

I fail to see the point of a car that is designed and marketed as being tail happy. When your car is sliding round a corner, its fighting for grip and as such is only a short way from being out of control. If you were a professional driver then perhaps you can handle this pretty easily. You are not. You are an IT geek and one day your merry sliding round a corner will bite you. Hopefully you dont manage to injur another when you eventually lose control of your car
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post

I fail to see the point of a car that is designed and marketed as being tail happy.
        That's fairly irrelevant - it's simply not aimed at you then.

When your car is sliding round a corner, its fighting for grip and as such is only a short way from being out of control.
        Actually the whole point of the thing is that it's stable once powersliding, hence being very easy to do. Being in a slide doesn't inherently mean you are less in control; it's the transition between sliding and not sliding which is the dangerous one.

You only have to look at rally driving to see that driving in a slidey way is actually very controllable. Yes on TV you see professionals but tonnes of people do amateur rallying and of course the pros are sliding at 150mph on a narrow dirt track, not 30mph outside Tesco.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I fail to see the point of a car that is designed and marketed as being tail happy. When your car is sliding round a corner, its fighting for grip and as such is only a short way from being out of control. If you were a professional driver then perhaps you can handle this pretty easily. You are not. You are an IT geek and one day your merry sliding round a corner will bite you. Hopefully you dont manage to injur another when you eventually lose control of your car
          Don't fooking buy it then, you dullard. Why are you wasting so much time and words on a car you don't like unless you are a and a .
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Drifting is mainly about balance and enough power to control the increase or decrease in traction.

I had an S13 drifter with an SR20 out of the later S14 200SX and had a few fun days on airfields. Mate did pretty well in a stripped out volvo estate, but he was better than me and I ended up selling the car and buying a Mk1 MX5 as a weekend toy which I kept pretty much stock. Had about a million times more fun in a 'low' powered MX5 on quiet roads on weekend mornings* than I did sliding round an airfield. Cost about a million times less and was about a million times more reliable.

I did, however, look like a hairdresser. That's the only reason why I did consider a V8 transplant, but gave it up as pointless. Get a TVR for the same money as that would have cost.

*edit: driving normally, not drifting on public roads - for the record....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              That's fairly irrelevant - it's simply not aimed at you then.

Actually the whole point of the thing is that it's stable once powersliding, hence being very easy to do. Being in a slide doesn't inherently mean you are less in control; it's the transition between sliding and not sliding which is the dangerous one.

You only have to look at rally driving to see that driving in a slidey way is actually very controllable. Yes on TV you see professionals but tonnes of people do amateur rallying and of course the pros are sliding at 150mph on a narrow dirt track, not 30mph outside Tesco.
              Sorry didn't realise you were a professional driver. In that case you obviosuly have tons of experiance in sliding cars round corners and a full understanding of both cars ability and yours. There was me thinking that you worked in IT and would only have a track record of driving more normal cars on normal. On that basis, I accept that your long many years of rally/track driving will stand you in good stead for driving a car aimed at powersliding.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Don't fooking buy it then, you dullard. Why are you wasting so much time and words on a car you don't like unless you are a and a .
                I'm not buying it knob jockey. I'm saying its a dangerous way to market it and a stupid thing to sell to people to use on normal roads.
                Last edited by BoredBloke; 12 February 2013, 11:20.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Sorry didn't realise you were a professional driver. .
                  Sorry, we didn't realise you're a pub bore.
                  Later on I'm going to take my GT for a spin, while you type your blowhard comments on an internet forum.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Sorry didn't realise you were a professional driver. In that case you obviosuly have tons of experiance in sliding cars round corners and a full understanding of both cars ability and yours. There was me thinking that you worked in IT and would only have a track record of driving more normal cars on normal. On that basis, I accept that your long many years of rally/track driving will stand you in good stead for driving a car aimed at powersliding.
                    Whereas of course you ARE a professional driver and therefore able to talk about these things with authority?

Pot/kettle on an epic scale.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by rob s View Post
                      *edit: driving normally, not drifting on public roads - for the record....
                      And that's my point. This car will be drifted on normal roads by people with dubious ability.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X