• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Healthcare - NHS/Private

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    One of my mates explained in leafy Surrey they don't discharge patients who in Croydon (which is actually in Greater London) wouldn't even have been in-patients.
    I had really dreadful experience when I was needlessly admitted on A&E and then subject to "first time" trainees from the Imperial College. They kept me for hours doing completely pointless tests, clearly just for the sake of training.
    Felt like XIXth century operating theatre ....
    If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      I've had several people close to me very badly let down by the NHS. One is permanently disabled due to the refusal of his GP to refer him for an MRI scan.

I've got basic BUPA cover in which I fork out for any private consultations during the diagniosis phase & I'm covered for all subsequent treatment.

Problem is, you still have to see an NHS dr to get a referral. My missus has been in agony with what turns out to be suspected gallstones. She rings drs surgery on Friday & they tell her nothing avalable until 13 Feb. If it gets any worse over the weekend, they say, go to A&E.
      Simply not good enough.
      Been in exactly the same situation as you, we ended up paying £90 to see a Bupa GP who then referred the missus to a surgeon. Done and dusted in two days. BUPA have just started a GP scheme as part of their health coverage. So in theory you should be able to bypass your normal GP.

Comment

The reception staff get some amount of abuse it has to be said, they grow into that attitude due to the crap they take and they morph into these people. I'm not excusing their attitude but you have to realise that the average doctor's surgery reception gets bombarded with abuse from junkies, alkies, angry people working the benefit system and the mentally unstable every day. They are more like night club bouncers than health professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          They are more like night club bouncers than health professionals.
          Receptionists are NOT health professionals they are administrators.

This is why people get upset when they have to explain their confidential medical problem to them and are refused an appointment.

The way to get round them is to explain your problem in very graphical details, or to assertively ask them about their medical training and membership of an appropriate association.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            I live close to one of the greatest metropolises in the world, you live in the arse end of nowhere.
            That probably explains it.
            You live near Accrington?
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Jeez, I never said they were.

You need to take a seat love and the doctor will be out soon to take care of your anger problems.

Comment

Indeed.

At my GP's practice they basically don't answer the phone. I mean, they do, sometimes - just takes a good 15 mins to get through, and it's not because they're on another call.

I've started to just drive down there to make appointments. It's quicker. Once there, they can't ignore you the way they ignore the phone...

Comment

Is anyone on this forum not unwell?

Seems to me that you are all unfit, unwell and in constant need of wet nursing and demand a cuddle from the NHS.

Comment

I'm fairly fit apart from a bit of a paunch developing.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm lucky enough to live in a village with an excellent surgery. Appointments the same day or the next are the norm and the receptionists can tell who you are just by your voice. GP's on a first name basis and plenty of time to talk through issues.

This is how it should be but for the majority it's just a dream. How to fix it?
                      Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                      X