• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A job offer out of the blue...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    If that is the email they are asking you to reply to then it is a scam
    No fooling you is there DA?

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
      No fooling you is there DA?

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

So if they transfer a load of money into your account, what's to stop you from keeping it?
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
          So if they transfer a load of money into your account, what's to stop you from keeping it?
          Violence.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Problem is that they are using YOUR paypal account. Even if you use it and it is within 45 days of "Paypal reversal terms", then Paypal will take back the money from any linked account (bank, credit card) you have. Also, the fact that the money reaches your paypal account means that the money is traceable to you, and not some tulip overseas bank account from which it was transferred. Someone might even close that bank account (which was opened with fake information in a needy/seedy bank i presume), and leave you hanging when someone starts investigating and traces it to your paypal account. They might as well be converting black money to white, or the other way round, to fund nefarious activities. Money laundering indeed.
            Last edited by tranceporter; 7 February 2013, 12:16.
            I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

A policeman.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

I actually fell for this scam when i was younger.

I was a bit skint (a bit of an under-statement!) at the time so thought why not, what could go wrong?

Within a couple of hours, £3500 appeared in my bank account. Followed by emails and text messages asking me to transfer 90% via Western Union and I could keep the other 10%.

Alarms bells rang

I went straight to my bank and they immediately reversed the obviously fraudulent transaction. I was still getting text messages from them (Latvians) while sat there with the bank manager asking where the money was :O

The text messages and emails eventually stopped after I told them the bank had spotted fraud on my account.

It's suprising what people will do when they are broke.
                Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  So you're saying that (assuming you're not detected and apprehended by the police) you do actually gain money from this process?
                  No. As has probably been pointed out already further down the thread, they're sending you money from a stolen paypal account which can (and will) be reversed. You then transfer your own money as a 'legitimate' transaction. So you've received stolen money, and voluntarily given your own cash to a criminal.

Comment

snap! I got that too. I reckon its linked in.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                      I actually fell for this scam when i was younger.

I was a bit skint (a bit of an under-statement!) at the time so thought why not, what could go wrong?

Within a couple of hours, £3500 appeared in my bank account. Followed by emails and text messages asking me to transfer 90% via Western Union and I could keep the other 10%.

Alarms bells rang

I went straight to my bank and they immediately agreed to split it 50/50. I was still getting text messages from them (Latvians) while sat there with the bank manager asking where the money was :O

The text messages and emails eventually stopped after I told them the bank had spotted fraud on my account.

It's suprising what people will do when they are broke.
                      You could be onto a winner there.

Comment

Working...
                      X