• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Regional accents, can other people place you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just hopeless at accents. My mum was from Belfast and my dad from rural Devon, but I didn't manage to pick up either.

My brother-in-law has amused himself for 20 years trying to teach me the Nottingham accent and everyone still hoots and replies 'what?' When I talk about buses.

If I let myself dribble I can almost mimic them..
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I live on the edge of an area called the Odenwald and its practically impossible to tell where someone comes from as nearly each village has its own dialect, plus they all inbreed!

Having lived here for nearly 25 years and having learnt French before English and then Portugese then Afrikaans, my dialect seems to shoot all over the place depending upon whom I am talking to. Sometimes its horrible Thames Estuary (having spent a few years living in Essex, actually born there) to a rather classless, a bit BBC-ish, Home Counties English through to an English as spoken by an Englishman who hasn't lived there for years, i.e. weird. The worst is that when in the UK or speaking to British people, I forget English words and only know the German which is embarrasing...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Not sure about now, but in my early childhood I moved from Brighton to Hertfordshire to Devon.

When I went to Uni, the first person I met in my halls said, oh you're from Devon, even though I never realised I had an accent.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Record yourself and replay.

You never sound like you then
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I speak RP, which is dying out so much now, people do a double take when I speak and ask me to repeat myself. The whole country is turning into a bunch of farking plebby chavs.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
              Heh, yes, Canadians can get quite grumpy when you get that wrong.
              I usually get them to say 'about' ... that is a good way to find out if they are a septic or not

My accent used to change depending on where I was living (Holland, Jo'berg and Cheltenham) but over time I have just got this posh (accoding to GF redgiant whos from Leicester) generic south eastern one.

Comment

Having not lived in the Valleys for 20+ years my mates back home think I'm posh now but if I work anywhere outside Wales they think I'm the biggest sheepshagger they've ever heard.

Can't win mun :-)
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
                  I usually get them to say 'about' ... that is a good way to find out if they are a septic or not
                  e.
                  True. Canadian "about" sounds like its pronounced with a Lancashire accent.

Comment

I tork propper like. not like youse woolie-backs
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

am a well posh cosmopolitan londoner

until i speak to my mum on the phone, then am back to northern

Comment

Working...
                      X