• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Regional accents, can other people place you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I lived back in the valleys I was almost beaten up a couple of times because people thought I was English.

Now in Hampshire most people can pick up that I am Welsh although sometimes they struggle and I have been asked if I was Scottish, Irish, South African and Austrailian. I think it might depend on what I am actually saying, some words clearly have a Welsh twang and some just sound like someone who speaks English but is not from England.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Nothing wrong with accents. If anything, people are starting to sound the same these days, Valley grrl, meets Estuary english, which is sad.

Comment

Ya hoor sur you radges aw soond the same tae me

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          Now in Hampshire most people can pick up that I am Welsh although sometimes they struggle and I have been asked if I was Scottish, Irish, South African and Austrailian. I think it might depend on what I am actually saying, some words clearly have a Welsh twang and some just sound like someone who speaks English but is not from England.
          When I move back to Yorkshire in the eighties I quickly got sick of being called a southern pufta/softie or simply posh (the latter from the ladies), so learned my Yorkshire again.

I switched back again when I found myself in Europe once more.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            The worst is that when in the UK or speaking to British people, I forget English words and only know the German which is embarrasing...
            I suffer from that and things like diary entries or notes I take at meetings can be a real mish-mash.

When someone asks me for the English translation of a word I sometimes have a horrible blank.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              I remember this with UB40 when they first came on the scene. But really liked them once I got used to it.

Paolo Nutini is the one that currently grates.
              This ^^ to the power of loads.

Would love to rip out his voice box and poke it down his japs eye with a crowbar.

Where the f**k did that singing accent come from ? Half Glasgow Ned, half Mickey O'Neil from Snatch. Prick !!!
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Torran View Post
                Ya hoor sur you radges aw soond the same tae me
                Ken, likesy, ya doss c**t !! Did ye bring the cairds ????
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                X