• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to stay in New York City.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Aye, but might be safer for two 18 yr olds to stay? More hustle and bustle 24 hours, like.
    That is true. We felt safe where we stayed, but weren't many people walking about at night, so you don't get that extra comfort that busier places can have.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Mine's gone to Birmingham. So far she's been threatened, robbed, and her accommodation set on fire. How bad can New York be?
      I meant more that they were lucky buggers, getting flown to NY. Your young 'un can come and lodge with me!
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I meant more that they were lucky buggers, getting flown to NY. Your young 'un can come and lodge with me!
        She's moving out of the halls for next year - just paid deposit for private digs. Hopefully things will be a bit calmer!

Comment

When I was a student 20 years ago I stayed here:

Guest Rooms at Vanderbilt YMCA | New York City's YMCA

Cost seems to be around £60/night.
          Recommended.

Comment

I meant more that they were lucky buggers, getting flown to NY...
            That's what happens when your dad/uncle is a contractor. More money than sense...
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
              When I went last May, I managed to get an amazing cheap deal (flight and hotel) on last minute for THE WALDORF ASTORIA... it was really good, and you must go to their Sunday brunch...that was a wow.

However years before that I went to the best western hotel.
              I stayed there a couple of years back and it was historical, the people who have stayed there is a list of who's who.

Central Manahattan, walk to Central Park, or Water taxi at East 34th I think to Battery Park and Brooklyn.

911 museum is interesting not that they may remember it much. 5th Avenue for the EXPENSIVE shops.

Go up the Rockefeller building, a life moment. Better than Empire State IMHO.

Statten Island Ferry for experience, see on tv and in movies so frequently.

Statue of liberty and Ellis Island. Eliis Island is very interesting, showing waves of immigration etc

The first time you go its just great to see all the places you have seen on the big and small screen all your life.
              Last edited by Scrag Meister; 4 February 2013, 08:25.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

If they want Boutique style then look for one of the Ian Schrager hotels eg the Hudson or Morgan. Not cheap but they'll love it. The bars are fantastic for celeb spotting.

Others that would appeal would be one of the W hotels (Sheraton group), in fact most of the Sheraton group of hotels are well placed, meaning most of the sites are walkable.

Comment

Trump Soho was well plush hotel. Expensive but not as much as the ones nearer central park.

Staten island ferry is a good laugh for free. Central park, empire state etc.

Thought the cabs were crap though. Takes ages to get one, then you sit in traffic jam and pay loads, quicker to just jump on the subway.

I was most impressed by how safe the place felt. Not at all like that film - 'the wanderers' lol.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

get somewhere around Washington Sq or Union Sq - where all the NYU students hang out - more fun for the youth.

Having said that I like to stay at that really tall hotel on Cental Park South above 44th floor park view - cheesy old style hotel but the views over the park are amazing to wake up to.

Comment

The New Yorker
                      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                      X