• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New build/freeholds and housing associations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know quite a bit about these things, although having a different legal and conveyancing system up here I am not sure how much this translates.

it is usually in the title deeds that you must have one, I don't know exactly why you would need one if it is a house but the developer and his family probably got a very nice trip to Florida out of it.

They will ramp up the charges, they will make up jobs and say that someone asked for it to be done, probably at night as well and with a hefty call out fee.

You may also find that it will put people off when you come to sell.

Comment

I don't think it puts off buyers if it is working. If the estate is a couple of years or more old and still looks smart and well kept you have visual evidence it works so won't put off buyers.

Everyone is rushing to buy new houses and most have something like this in some form or other so it is going to part and parcel of buying new properties.

Have to say they can put prices up and offer less than quality service if you get a bad company, which is why we sacked ours at my flat and ran it in house with just an advisory service and it works really well.

Before you right it off get a look at the lease and the costs and judge for yourself.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If it is houses with private gardens you should not have this agreement. Possibly it is private streets off road with private lighting, possibly an insurance commitment for the roads. I dunno. I am guessing.

Comment

As others have said it may be on a private road, technically maybe an unadopted road. Are the bins done by the council or another company?
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            If it is houses with private gardens you should not have this agreement. Possibly it is private streets off road with private lighting, possibly an insurance commitment for the roads. I dunno. I am guessing.
            Originally posted by Freamon View Post
            As others have said it may be on a private road, technically maybe an unadopted road. Are the bins done by the council or another company?
            I think the road being private might be the thing - bins are done as normal by the council, as was supplying a grit bin. It's a cul-de-sac and the seller did mention lighting.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Street round here was private, council refused to resurface it but when they resurfaced the other roads they parked the lorries and equipment on the private road overnight. Middle class letter writing war was waged on the council and in the end they resurfaced the private road.

Comment

Working...
              X