• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever signed on the dole in between gigs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by formant View Post
    Well they still expect you to show up every two weeks and complete a diary about your applications/efforts to get a job - right from day one. The only thing that changes after 12 weeks is that they expect you to apply for stuff outside your comfort zone.
    I know, I did it a few years back. But the first 12 weeks they let you be pretty picky and if you have work lined up for the future it's basically a formality.

Since you should be looking for work, showing proof of your contract applications is not a big deal.

If you've nothing else to do, it's not a real hassle and you get to see a different side of life which can be interesting.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      No, but I probably should have a couple of years ago. I'd be several thousand pounds better off now if I had, especially if I'd got housing benefit too, and at the end of the day it probably wouldn't have been that terrible.

Currently not allowed to claim anything (as I resigned from my permie job at the end of last year).
      I wish I had signed on when I was self-employed back in the early nineties when everyone and his dog were putting everything on hold. A lot of folks told me I wouldn't be able to claim because I was self-employed. That turned out to be utter rubbish. I think the real truth was that I didn't qualify for unemployment benefit, but did qualify for income support and the difference was something like a quid a week.
      1. I got into arrears on the mortgage when the dole could have paid. This would have been a couple of grand, so worth it.
      2. I wouldn't have had to pay NI and they came chasing me for it. The bastards even took me to court for it. I won that round, but it wasn't pleasant.

The second point is the critical one IMO. When you are signed on your NI is automatically credited, so even if you have so much in the bank you aren't eligible for any payments, at least the NI is covered.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        In my case, I had about £10K in the company account (after tax etc), and I was paying minimum wage as salary, so I felt I couldn't (or shouldn't) claim to have no income when MyCo. could keep paying the same salary for about 10 months. And to pay myself a £10K dividend and then claim the company has no money to pay me would have been taking the piss.
        Are you mad? Millions in britain who have never paid tax, never worked, and never intend to if they can help it.

Thats taking the piss....
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deanosity View Post
          Does the benefit stop after 12 weeks if you don't get a job?

If I was on benefits, I wouldn't turn my nose up at a 14K job. It may only be £241 a week, but IT support can't be very hard and you could walk whenever you want.
          Dunno what it is now for contribution based - 9 months maybe?

No. Basically they leave you alone for 12 weeks to find the job you want at the salary you want. After this they expect you to take anything suitable.

Not sure how hard it is to NOT get offered a job - some benefit scroungers make a career out of it!

Trouble is with taking a crap job is you might then miss out on a contract paying 10x that what with notice periods etc. Unless you do literally get contract and walk out there and then LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I know, I did it a few years back. But the first 12 weeks they let you be pretty picky and if you have work lined up for the future it's basically a formality.

Since you should be looking for work, showing proof of your contract applications is not a big deal.

If you've nothing else to do, it's not a real hassle and you get to see a different side of life which can be interesting.
            Security guards on the door of the jobcentre was an eyeopener for me.

As well, as seeing the state on some of the people 'looking' for work. No chance ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
              It's soul destroying just applying, you have to jump through hoops, i would rather shovel sh*t than go in a jobcenter and go through that process again, it would be a dark day if i ever have to sign on, build up your warchest to cover time off instead
              Back in the days when students could sign on* I reckoned it took the first two days of my hols to go to the dole office, then to the social security office then back to the dole office, but it was worth it because they had the best paying jobs for students**. You can also ring them as soon as you are out of work, e.g. on a Friday afternoon so that the benefits meter starts running

* the only time I had any intention of staying on the dole was during the Easter hols before my finals so I could study.
              ** typically 25-50% more than any job you would see advertised in the local rag
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Trouble is with taking a crap job is you might then miss out on a contract paying 10x that what with notice periods etc. Unless you do literally get contract and walk out there and then LOL.
                I see your point, but who would honor a "temp" jobs notice period when you could be earning so much more?

Comment

No, never would either.

Anything gained from it would be negligible compare to the warchest.

Comment

Working...
                  X