• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

George Osborne orders deeper cuts after next election

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be interested to understand where this conception that everything is somehow incredibly inefficient comes from. Inefficient compared to what? How is this "efficiency" defined and measured?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I'd be interested to understand where this conception that everything is somehow incredibly inefficient comes from. Inefficient compared to what? How is this "efficiency" defined and measured?
      If public services were efficient, the state wouldn't have to hold a gun to our heads and make us pay for them.

Comment

A few suggestions
        1. Merge income tax and National Insurance
        2. Only pay benefits to UK citizens
        3. Stop most, if not all schemes such as share incentives, VCT, EIS etc and cut basic tax rates
        4. Cut overseas aid
        5. Add pensioner benefits (tv licence, winter fuel, bus pass etc) to the basic pension so that wealthy pensioners will pay tax on it
        6. Close down offshore tax schemes and dodges
        7. A full review of the public services, and how they are best provided, a basic aim of reducing costs by at least 50% on admin
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Are there any sort of boundedness theorems for economic efficiency i.e. something similar to the Carnot efficiency of a heat engine or Shannon's theorem? Cos obviously it would be unreasonable to expect something to be more efficient than a mathematically rigorous upper bound.
          Last edited by doodab; 22 January 2013, 21:56.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
            1. Merge income tax and National Insurance
            2. Stop most, if not all schemes such as share incentives, VCT, EIS etc and cut basic tax rates
            I'd agree with this except that basic rate should be abolished so we have a single rate of income tax with a much higher tax free allowance, and I'd allow couples to share the allowance so that they aren't unduly penalised if one of them isn't working.

Comment

1. Only pay benefits to UK citizens
              Yeah, sure. I mean, it's not like they pay tax and NI to fund those. Oh, wait...

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
                Yeah, sure. I mean, it's not like they pay tax and NI to fund those. Oh, wait...
                Nobody's forcing them to come here.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                  Isn't their coming here a consequence of a free labour market?

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                    Sure, cause this country would do so phenomenally well without all those pesky foreigners, right?

Comment

A full review of the public services, and how they are best provided, a basic aim of reducing costs by at least 50% on admin
                      Doesn't every government do this, and find the extra 50% is spent performing the review?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X