• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did the olympics make a profit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Did the olympics make a profit? And who does the profit or loss go to?
    WGAS. I think that if there's one justifiable cause for wasting the taxpayer's money it's big events that involve thousands of fit young women running and jumping about in skimpy lycra outfits.

Would you rather your money's used for hiring a few more Elf and Safety inspectors and equality officers, or the opportunity to watch Jess Ennis jumping into and rolling about in a sandpit and Federica Pellegrini getting wet?

Get your priorities right, BP.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Did the olympics make a profit? And who does the profit or loss go to?
      Probably not.

And it didn't leave a legacy either.

But it did leave a lot of GREAT memories.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Probably not.

And it didn't leave a legacy either.

But it did leave a lot of GREAT memories.
        Didn't it? There are some amazing facilities AND it's probably inspired lots of kids to aspire to the top in sports, AND the sales of racing bikes shot up (also party thanks to Wiggins in the TDF), so hopefully it's a contribution to reducing obesity.

Some inspiring stories from the Paralympics too.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Didn't it? There are some amazing facilities AND it's probably inspired lots of kids to aspire to the top in sports, AND the sales of racing bikes shot up (also party thanks to Wiggins in the TDF), so hopefully it's a contribution to reducing obesity.

Some inspiring stories from the Paralympics too.
          WHS.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I think it was a worthwhile exercise and those giant stadiums can be turned into open air dole offices, so not all bad.

In other news....

Goldman Sachs bankers to reward themselves a staggering £8.3billion in bonuses | Mail Online

Not sure which is the bigger waste of money to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Doog, you would not know a bit of art if it hit you in the face.
              I think few of us would recognise art when it hit them in the face.

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              Thanks for the early morning laugh. Children ruin your life, always have, always will.
              I agree with you on this but many swear by them as a way to make their lives seem meaningful... they're bringing into the world a real person (who will end up having kids to make their life seem meaningful, etc)
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
              X