• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommendations for jet lag

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visit countries in the same time zone.

Comment

Recommendations for jet lag? I always thought the best way was to switch time zones rapidly. Aren't there machines called aircraft that can help us with that?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Recommendations for jet lag? I always thought the best way was to switch time zones rapidly. Aren't there machines called aircraft that can help us with that?
        It's true, but I think you have to get on one first, which is possibly where MF is making the mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Fook. 3am this time. 2am yesterday. Banging headache. My Jet lag is getting worse this time. I've hit the gym. Didn't drink. Stayed up as late as possible but no still awake. All over Xmas when back I was waking up at 4am, now back the other way.

Anyone got any recommendations? Someone said melotonin over the counter.
          That was me. Emulates what your circadian rhythms should be doing, and no drugged/hangover effect. Worked for me in Oz.

Comment

SleepCycle on iPhone.

HTH
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Melatonin for the prevention and ... [Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

According to this, you don't want the slow release stuff.

Comment

What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Oh here we go again.

Comment

Oh here we go again.

I find Melatonin is rubbish. But if you want it, get it over the counter in chemists in the US. This is what works for me, though I wouldn't advise anyone else to do it without checking with a Dr.

What I do is get on to destination timezone as soon as i get on the plane. Don't drink alcohol. Use a little valium to control the hours that you sleep (which should be inline with destination night time). I get Valium from the Doctor-I tell them I'm a nervous flyer. Use sleeping mask to make darkness. Ear plugs and noise reducing headphones for quiet. Get premium economy seat for a little extra comfort. Drink Hydralyte before boarding the plane - combats dehydration. Take an aspirin because you won't be moving around - combats DVT. Eat before you get on the plane and tell them not to wake you. Make your seat belt outside your blanket so they don't wake you during the flight.

When you get to your destination you must operate on local time-ie. don't be tempted to hit the sack at 8pm or get up at 4am. The next day use coffee to stay awake during times of tiredness. Get as much sunshine as possible. Drink plenty of water on this day. The evening of the first day at the destination hit the gym and flog the weights if you are capable. Repeat this for a few days, you must be physically exhausted when you go to bed, otherwise you will wake up a stupid o'clock. You may find at bedtime it is hard to sleep on the first night - I use a little valium here.

* Do not keep using valium after the first night on land - it can be addictive.
                    Last edited by aussielong; 26 May 2013, 05:19.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                      I find Melatonin is rubbish. But if you want it, get it over the counter in chemists in the US. This is what works for me, though I wouldn't advise anyone else to do it without checking with a Dr.

What I do is get on to destination timezone as soon as i get on the plane. Don't drink alcohol. Use a little valium to control the hours that you sleep (which should be inline with destination night time). I get Valium from the Doctor-I tell them I'm a nervous flyer. Use sleeping mask to make darkness. Ear plugs and noise reducing headphones for quiet. Get premium economy seat for a little extra comfort. Drink Hydralyte before boarding the plane - combats dehydration. Take an aspirin because you won't be moving around - combats DVT. Eat before you get on the plane and tell them not to wake you. Make your seat belt outside your blanket so they don't wake you during the flight.

When you get to your destination you must operate on local time-ie. don't be tempted to hit the sack at 8pm or get up at 4am. You may find at bedtime it is hard to sleep - use a valium here. The next day use coffee to stay awake during times of tiredness. Get as much sunshine as possible. Drink plenty of water on this day. The evening of the first day at the destination hit the gym and flog the weights. Repeat this for a few days, you must be physically exhausted when you go to bed, otherwise you will wake up a stupid o'clock.

* Do not keep using valium after the first night on land - it can be addictive.
                      Premium economy??? Business class darling.

Comment

Working...
                      X