• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the foodies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I too am looking at sous vide, and currently dropping hints all over the house about my brithday coming up...
    My N who doesn't cook has been dropping hints about it to me.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      Currently do everything in a big le creuset casserole pot n' lid on the stove but wouldn't leaving the oven on all day cost a small fortune?
      I'm never sure about that. A gas hob is letting lots of heat escape whereas an oven is nearly a closed system so I'm not sure which is actually the most efficient... heating a large space efficiently or a small space inefficiently.

If your oven and hob are both gas or both electric, I suppose you could test this out!
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Cheers all. Will go the slow cooker route.

Looks like Mrs Pondy will be getting some pulled pork this weekend.

Comment

I've used my pressure cooker for beef stew using stewing steak and braising steak. I've found on both occasions the meat has dried out somewhat compared to a nice slow cook in the oven. I would assume that a slow cooker will give a better result.

I use my pressure cooker almost exclusively for dhals/pulses, making stock and spuds (for mash). Also cooked a nice piece of gammon in coke in it at the weekend - very nice.

Comment

always been worried about the cooking with plastic in a sous vide...
            Join IPSE

Comment

Slow cooker is great - really easy to use and you don't need to be a good chef to get a decent meal. If you start it before you go to work, your dinner is ready when you return in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                always been worried about the cooking with plastic in a sous vide...
                It's normally at quite low ish temps like 55, 60 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  It's normally at quite low ish temps like 55, 60 degrees.
                  yes I realise that but it still concerns me, at any moderate temperature plastic gives off chemicals and infusing them into food gives me rise to worry...but then plenty have eaten them and no conclusive proof of harm so maybe its just a mental hurdle for me to get over?
                  Join IPSE

Comment

Slow cooker, never owned a pressure cooker.

Stick it on when you leave in the morning, lovely meal when you get home.

Gammon, Curries, Stews, Soups.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Question for the foodies

Black Peas cooked in a pressure cooker, hmmm!

Gonna get one!

Comment

Working...
                      X