• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

As a contractor do you sometimes lose perspective when it comes to money?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kelstar View Post
    When I started out my tactic was to, as quick as I could:

1. Be debt free
    2. Save 12 months warchest
    3. Upgrade my banger is it is at the embarrassing stage
    4. Keep bills below £1.5k a month

19 months in - all done

No matter what the rate no.4 is really important for me. My aim is to have financial freedom, not increase my financial commitments. Years of student debt and worrying, its so nice to not be in that position anymore.
    The challenge really starts when you:
    Get married.
    Buy your first real family home.
    Have a kid.
    Have another kid.
    Possibly have another kid.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      The challenge really starts when you:
      Get married.
      Buy your first real family home.
      Have a kid.
      Have another kid.
      Possibly have another kid.
      Ha ha, agreed! Unfortunately I haven't been blessed in that department. But hats off to my mummy (and daddy) friends!

Comment

Yeah ... having two young children is hardly making me better off ... that is where the ruddy money is going!!!
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          Yeah ... having two young children is hardly making me better off ... that is where the ruddy money is going!!!
          Build a spreadsheet. I have one going back to 1997. Every year in Jan I add a prediction for the next 12 months. Contracting, investments, Ebay, rental, interest, shares etc with outgoings. I then add 20% Pareto to the outgoings and I work out how many days I need to work for breakeven. I know exactly what I need to do.

I then calculate a best case, land and worst case for the year. I aim for the best case but always seem to hit the land number. That is normally 2k per month above my outgoings, which is my worst case. If I find over the year that I am exceeding my land rate, I normally increase my outgoings. Ie. holiday, gadgets etc

According to my spreadsheet in 1997, kid free, first mortgage, perm my outgoings where £1500 per month. I left a job at £28k and my first year as a contractor was £58k. Year 2 £79k. Year 15. My outgoings with missus, kids and responsibilities are now £3500 per month. I only wish the takehome had gone up the same percentage and that 'Ill be a millionaire in 5 years never seemed to come true' ;-)
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            I only wish the takehome had gone up the same percentage and that 'Ill be a millionaire in 5 years never seemed to come true' ;-)
            A few more rounds of QE and we'll all be millionaires this time next year...

Comment

I always planned to have at least six months money on the bank but as my wide doesn't work it's more tax advantageous to take most of it out and split in divs between us.

I love contracting but everytime I get offered a high paid Permy role I get twitchy. Problem is I have not had a single day off sick in 9 years doing this or been out of work so I think going perm and losing 30% of my money is not needed yet. One day maybe when I'm 50.

I like spending on holidays most as that's what the kids will really remember You have you balance your spending with saving but you only live once and enjoy your time with young kids now.

Off to Disney USA for 3 weeks this year. First time ever I have taken more than 10 days off in a year. Got to do it.

Comment

Just had a call from Santander fraud department querying a few transactions. Unfortunately they were all mine- a possible reminder to rein in the spending
                "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  A few more rounds of QE and we'll all be millionaires this time next year...
                  So you've been saying the last 5 years, I guess like the Linux desktop it's going to be 'next year'.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    <snip>
                    According to my spreadsheet in 1997, kid free, first mortgage, perm my outgoings where £1500 per month. I left a job at £28k and my first year as a contractor was £58k. Year 2 £79k. Year 15. My outgoings with missus, kids and responsibilities are now £3500 per month. I only wish the takehome had gone up the same percentage and that 'Ill be a millionaire in 5 years never seemed to come true' ;-)
                    I was going to ask how the heck you can have outgoings of £3500 but then I realised that a £2k mortgage is not unusual these days.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      I was going to ask how the heck you can have outgoings of £3500 but then I realised that a £2k mortgage is not unusual these days.
                      I was going to ask how the heck he could have outgoings of only £3500.

Comment

Working...
                      X