• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boring Contract...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Week five and no further!

People are great, atmos great but I think it's time and assess this and look around! We have:

1. No laptop (shiity desktop)

2. Access to email etc but not to Unix which is what I do

3. Using 1. Colleagues account for the odd bit, and 2. my predecessors account which I hacked do to poor sudoers controls. Not happy about either. However despite it being a Bank everyone seems fine with it...

4. Working on an EU required bank thing which UK have to implement by 2016, so might be worth hanging on and getting a head start for then..

5. Contract till Aug 2013, at this rate if things start to happen now, will be 2014 easy - rate is decent for Ireland but had better...

Dunno! I like the place, feels good, nice to be able to circumvent the rules without being hung drawn and quartered and the fact I'm doing little productively is still ok.....

But I like being busy and when away from home it's worse, cos the hotel bar and moan is the only respite.

Gut feeling is stick it out but look around and carry on as if looking - if I get an better offer, worry about it then....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Week five and no further!

People are great, atmos great but I think it's time and assess this and look around! We have:

1. No laptop (shiity desktop)

2. Access to email etc but not to Unix which is what I do

3. Using 1. Colleagues account for the odd bit, and 2. my predecessors account which I hacked do to poor sudoers controls. Not happy about either. However despite it being a Bank everyone seems fine with it...

4. Working on an EU required bank thing which UK have to implement by 2016, so might be worth hanging on and getting a head start for then..

5. Contract till Aug 2013, at this rate if things start to happen now, will be 2014 easy - rate is decent for Ireland but had better...

Dunno! I like the place, feels good, nice to be able to circumvent the rules without being hung drawn and quartered and the fact I'm doing little productively is still ok.....

But I like being busy and when away from home it's worse, cos the hotel bar and moan is the only respite.

Gut feeling is stick it out but look around and carry on as if looking - if I get an better offer, worry about it then....
      Six months on my highlight of the day is playing WarCraft on ClintCo's time...
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Oddly enough, Clipster despite the Bank IT lot being a bit crap, the 1979 desktop I have is pretty well locked down internet wise, I've had about 300 warnings about .exe, .msi, forums, social networking, even from IBM or Oracle sites...

So no putty to home boxes, dyndns it knows about, but Oracle Secure Global Desktop (aka Tarantella as I knew it) beats it, so I'm there if I hadn't done my iMac SSD/SATA fusion drive upgrade and let it go back to sleeping so the VM its running in sleeps too. Schoolboy error - I'll migrate it to the Sparc T2000 at weekend I think!

Comment

I worked in a permie job where I got bollacked for trying to hack the corporate proxy/firewall. Bit disappointed in myself for allowing myself to get caught by IT drongos mind...

Anyway, as a punishment, my line manager took my laptop off me and relegated me to desktop for 6 months. Told me having a laptop was a privilege! LOL Yes it was that sort of company. Bit like taking my toys away...

Didnt give a toss anyway cos I never went anywhere with laptop anyway and it just stayed on the desk. Glad to take voluntary redunancy in the end....
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            How do you manage with anyone seeing?

Comment

Oddly enough, Clipster despite the Bank IT lot being a bit crap, the 1979 desktop I have is pretty well locked down internet wise, I've had about 300 warnings about .exe, .msi, forums, social networking, even from IBM or Oracle sites...

So no putty to home boxes, dyndns it knows about, but Oracle Secure Global Desktop (aka Tarantella as I knew it) beats it, so I'm there if I hadn't done my iMac SSD/SATA fusion drive upgrade and let it go back to sleeping so the VM its running in sleeps too. Schoolboy error - I'll migrate it to the Sparc T2000 at weekend I think!
              I used to work on list X site and even argos.co.uk was blocked. Dodgy site that argos mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                I start a new contract on the 14th, and the new laptop was delivered by courier this afternoon. Quite impressed.
                Wow, that IS impressive. You must be the only Lollipop Man in Somerset with a login!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Not only is it nearly a month and still no Lappy and still no login, this week there's hardly any fecker in to give me pointless tasks to do like reading yet another design doc or topo...

Had seven coffees too and can't sit still....

Still, keep on invoicing and all that. At least there's the hotel bar later to get lashed...
                  I do find it amazing how much money these companies have to throw away. What's the benefit to them hiring somebody in and waiting 2 months before starting the work?

One my former colleagues found a gig where he spent 8 months doing absolutely nothing and they kept extending him. £350/day to do jack sh*t. Then there are people who would love to make half that for at least some benefit to the company.

Bonkers
                  Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 10 January 2013, 15:42.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    I do find it amazing how much money these companies have to throw away. What's the benefit to them hiring somebody in and waiting 2 months before starting the work?

One my former colleagues found a gig where he spent 8 months doing absolutely nothing and they kept extending him. £350/day to do jack sh*t. Then there are people who would love to make half that for at least some benefit to the company.

Bonkers
                    Not uncommon to be honest for client to take ages to sort anything out.

Gets boring after a bit though. Perfect contract is enough work to keep ticking over, and make yourself look good but not too much that it cuts into internet time! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Not uncommon to be honest for client to take ages to sort anything out.

Gets boring after a bit though. Perfect contract is enough work to keep ticking over, and make yourself look good but not too much that it cuts into internet time! :-)
                      WHS. I'm 6 weeks into a 13 week gig and have done feck-all (I did have a desktop and log-on from day one though). I finally cracked today and asked wtf was going on ..... answer to follow ..... maybe by Monday

Comment

Working...
                      X