• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Effing Americans and guns

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Will these morons never learn?
    No. Morons don't learn; that's why they're morons.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

The overall ratio of gun ownership is not the main point. There are stacks of guns in Switzerland for example and I have never heard of a school massacre there.

The problem is people with mental and emotional issues being able to get hold of these guns and vent their rage. In the UK teenagers get just as depressed and angry as anywhere else but venting this anger at people comes out in different ways, self harming, vandalism, refusing to conform, violent assaults, alcohol and drug abuse, even attempts at suicide etc.

If some angry goth went on the rampage in a school with a knife or a baseball bat it would be far less effective and would probably result in them being disarmed and savagely beaten. Guns are hard to get hold of unless you know the right people and are psychotic enough to plan this sort of thing in advance. Also, guns which allow easy continuous supressive fire are even harder to get hold of (a rampage with a double barrel shotgun would probably result in either one shot being fired and the chav breaking his colar bone or two shots being fired and the goth being bundled).

In the US a depressed angry teenager who cannot control their emotions has a far greater chance on being able to easily pick up an simple to use weapon which allows them to overcome their inadequecies and hurt people in retaliation for how they feel they have been hurt and then take the easy way out and kill themselves afterwards - normally this level of depression contains suicidal urges anyway.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Have we ever had a school gun massacre? Probably there's some really obvious one but I can't recall and statistically shouldn't we have a few based on the ratios of gun ownership?
        You're right - few and far between. One from memory though: Dunblane school massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

As a laugh I thought I'd pop this on.
          Piers Morgan resorts to name calling after losing Gun Control debate !!! - YouTube
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            I'm not a fan of Piers Morgan but he's right on that. 'It's down to idiots like you...Mr Pratt'.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              I'm not a fan of Piers Morgan but he's right on that. 'It's down to idiots like you...Mr Pratt'.
              The US is overall a safe country - safer than the UK any day. In this specific case the mother screwed up by not locking up her weapons. Besides, the US is too far gone on guns to think that banning them will have an effect.
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                The US is overall a safe country - safer than the UK any day.
                No, I don't think that's true. The risks are different. In the UK people bottled or stabbed by chavs or their houses get burgled, while in the US people get shot. Both are pretty fooked up societies with their own particular flavour of fook up.

Agree though that banning guns in the US is probably a waste of time as there'll still be so many in circulation it'll have no effect. But that dickhead on Piers Morgan program (not Piers Morgan, the other dickhead) thinks it's smart to give teachers guns. Great; we could hold a sweepstake for the next school shooting to be committed by a teacher.
                Last edited by Mich the Tester; 20 December 2012, 10:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  No, I don't think that's true. The risks are different. In the UK people bottled or stabbed by chavs or their houses get burgled, while in the US people get shot. Both are pretty fooked up societies with their own particular flavour of fook up.

Agree though that banning guns in the US is probably a waste of time as there'll still be so many in circulation it'll have no effect. But that dickhead on Piers Morgan program (not Piers Morgan, the other dickhead) thinks it's smart to give teachers guns. Great; we could hold a sweepstake for the next school shooting to be committed by a teacher.

And when giving teachers the gun..and one of them goes postal one day, they'll have to hire blackwater..and when that guard goes postal.... you know where this is headed don't you?

Comment

The UK has violence too. What it rarely has is massacres: those are not committed by criminals, but by nut jobs with access to serious weaponry.

In this case a woman with a "survivalist's" collection of guns left them unlocked around a son who was already known to be crazy: she had once warned his babysitter never to turn his back on the boy, even to go to the bathroom. Would you leave an assault rifle and ammo lying around someone that you felt a need to give that warning about?
                    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                      Would you leave an assault rifle and ammo lying around someone that you felt a need to give that warning about?
                      an American

Comment

Working...
                      X